6/12/10

Update: - SP - Matt Harvey

6-12 from: - link - The Mets selection of North Carolina right-hander Matt Harvey with the seventh pick in the 2010 draft reminds me a great deal of the club’s selection of Wichita State right-hander Mike Pelfrey in 2005. I had a very brief look at Harvey on the Cape in 2009, and Harvey’s college career had its ups and downs. He’s similar to Pelfrey in body size and stuff, but in both cases, I think it’s fair to expect some growing pains with Harvey, just as Pelfry encountered. It doesn’t mean I don’t think that Harvey will not become a Major League contributor. I see no reason why he should not. But I think that Harvey, like Pelfry out of college, is a thrower more than a pitcher.
Big college arms with big stuff but fringe fastball command and inconsistent secondary pitches often don’t ride the fast track as expected. Their arm strength might get them to the majors in short order and without a challenge. However nothing can teach a young, headstrong power arm about the value of pitch-ability like major league hitters. I expect some success for Harvey, but some bumps before he gets there. How he responds to the adversity will surely influence how successful he is and for how long at the Major League level.

No comments: