9/17/11

I May Be Wrong, But…


1. If I woke up and was the 100% owner of the New York Mets, with no bank debt, I still would only have four ballplayers that were untouchable. Jose Reyes and David Wright, because I want them to continue to be the face of the team… and Zack Wheeler and Matt Harvey, because I want to build the kind of rotation that the Giants have. The secret of success in major league baseball is starting pitchers, not home runs. Home runs are sexy, but SPs bring home the bacon.


2. I believe Sandy Alderson should begin to free up every dollar by the time the 2013 free agent season comes around. He needs to make sure players like Mike Pelfrey, Angel Pagan, and Ronnie Paulino are no longer a salary drain. The Madoff should be over by then and there’s a good chance the Mets will be in a financial position to go after two of the “A” free agencys that will be available at OF, SP, and C.


3. There really is a bunch of potential bullpen guys that could make this team either next year of 2013. Names like Dillon Gee, Colin McHugh, Chris Schwinden, Jeurys Familia, Jenrry Mejia, Brad Holt, Mark Cohoon, and Robert Carson all have the talent to possibly fit here. Familia and Mejia particularly could be the closer the Mets currently don’t have.



4. The issue isn’t the fact that the Mets tanked one on Thursday. And the issue also isn’t the fact that TC got pissed and said we’ll all see the old (real?) TC after this. No, the issue is how Collins handles people like Angel Pagan and Mike Pelfrey, who really don’t give a shit at this point in their season/career. You probably will know by the time this is printed.



5. You don’t get another chance after two drug busts. I can’t believe that Brandon Moore was stupid enough to, first, take some drug a second time, and then, be caught a second time. 10-8 with Binghamton, a guaranteed rotation slot with Buffalo next season, and a trip to the Queens pen, down the drain. Shame me once… stupid. Shame me twice… next.

4 comments:

Rahman Bros said...

Thanks for the Sandy Artice Mack!

I agree with you 100%, Sandy should buy supplemental pieces this year and wait it out till the Free Agent Bonanza in 2013. 2012 is basically Rebuilding Year Part 2. The only exciting thing about next year are the debuts of Matt Harvey and Zack Wheeler. Brandon Nimmo can't come soon enough lol. Btw, what is your position on Reyes? Would you pay him 6 years 120 million or get the picks and seem him in a Cardinals, Giants, Phillies, or Red Sox uniform? I know that the idea of Ruben Tejada as the Mets longterm shortstop doesn't fit well with a lot of Mets fans.

Mack Ade said...

I want the Mets to sign Reyes. I believe Reyes and Wright are the face of the team and worth building around.

I would offer him $21mil for 4 years... and I'd let him win at 5 yrs... but that's all

If he says no, I can play Tejada at SS and pay the sam to C.J. Wilson

Michael S. said...

I agree that the Mets should be building as strong a rotation as possible. They also need to pair it with a very good offense as well.

Also, I agree that the team should be moving on from Pelfrey, Pagan, and Paulino ASAP. For a team keeping its payroll down, that's almost $10 million in savings.

Charles said...

I think Reyes is only a must at a price thats right for both sides. 5 yrs/85_90 mill. I couldn't stand for a Mets team that has Tejada as it's starting SS. I'm sorry, other then his fantastic glove, i'm just not impressed. If Reyes bails, at least this FO will most likely do great things with the draft picks and any cash freed up by his departure should definatly be spent on the rotation. Depending on Generation 2k to save this franchise would be a big mistake, but if Reyes signs there is no way in heck Wilson's agent even gets a call from Alderson. Right now, it's obvious 2012 is going to be the prologue for 2013, 2014. I believe this is a franchise gearing up for domination in years to come, just not next year.