10/6/11

Q and A with Cesar Mendoza: - Top 10 Prospects, Matt Harvey

Cesar Mendoza wrote:  Hey, Mack. Big fan. I was wondering when you were going to come out with your Mets top 10 prospects?  Also, do you think Matt Harvey would have been a top 5 pick had he gone back to college? Keep up the great work!

Mack:  Thanks Carlos.

I guess in essence, my “Keepers” list is my top 10 list, but I always wrestle with who should be ranked higher, the guy who is next to be promoted (Ruben Tejada) or the kid with the highest  ceiling (Akeel Morris).

I tend to write “The Keepers” as a combination of both, but a true list of top propects would only be based on one thing…  who are the top 10 players that will go the farthest in the pros.

Right now, in my opinion. They are:

1. RHSP - Akeel Morris – A+ SP1

2.  RHSP - Domingo Tapia – A – SP2/CL

3. RHSP - Zack Wheeler – A – SP2/3

4. RHSP Matt Harvey – A- SP2/3

5. 2B Reese Havens – B+ - 2B

6. RHSP - Jeurys Famila – B+ - ROOGY

7. RHCL - Jenrry Mejia – B - CL

8. RHSP - Luis Mateo – B – SP 4/5

9. OF Gilbert Gomez – B- - LF

10. P - Josh Edgin – B-  -  LOOGY

Regarding Matt Harvey, yes, I am sure he would have been a top 5 pick in the upcoming 2011 draft, but, what’s the point? I have too much trouble trying to figure out what really happens and there’s no reason to speculate past . Was he the right pick for the Mets. Put it this way… I liked the pick but I still wish the Mets chose C Yasmani Grandal.

1 comment:

David Groveman said...

Pretty bleak outlook for everyone not named Morris and Tapia... meanwhile I think you might be a bit high on those two.