1/10/12

New Team To Beat's Not So Perfect Situation

Without a question, the most improved team in the NL East are the Miami Marlins. Their lineup is improved, their rotation is improved and their bullpen is improved. They have a new stadium, a new manager and a new superstar SS. Things are pretty sweet in South Beach.

Lineup:
1. Jose Reyes, SS
2. Omar Infante, 2B
3. Hanley Ramirez, 3B
4. Mike Stanton, RF
5. Logan Morisson, LF
6. Gaby Sanchez, 1B
7. John Buck, C
8. Chris Coghlan, CF

Rotation:
1. Josh Johnson
2. Mark Buehrle
3. Anibal Sanchez
4. Ricky Nolasco
5. Wade LeBlanc / Carlos Zambrano

Bullpen:
CL: Heath Bell
SU: Juan Oviedo
SU: Randy Choate

Awesome...

Not to be contrary... but...

Ozzie Guillen:
  • Why It's Good For Them - Ozzie Guillen is one of the most controversial managers in baseball on the plus side his fiery nature can invigorate a team and get them motivated.
  • Why It's Bad For Them - I would say that 50% of Ozzie Guillen's fiery attitudt schtick comes across as immature. Add this to a few other immature players (Hanley Ramirez + Carlos Zambrano) and I can see the Miami clubhouse to be pretty unpleasant to be in.
Hanley Ramirez:
  • Why It's Good For Them - Hanley had a bad 2011 but I don't think anyone is discounting his ability to put up 30/30 seasons while hitting .300 just yet. Moving to a new position will also probably help his transition to more power as well.
  • Why It's Bad For Them - What Hanley wants... Hanley gets... well... that USED to be the case. Remember when a manager was fired for an argument with Ramirez? (Good times...) Hanley is publicly unhappy with his being FORCED off of short stop. He doesn't WANT to play 3rd... frankly, with Matt Dominguez coming up, perhaps the Marlins shouldn't want him there EITHER.
Jose Reyes:
  • Why It's Good For Them - Jose Reyes is one of the most fun players to watch. He can spark a team into scoring completely on his own and he's a definite defensive upgrade over Hanley Ramirez at short.
  • Why It's Bad For Them - The obvious thing is that the Marlins just tied up a boat-load of money into a guy whose biggest asset is his legs. The thing he injures almost twice a season... his hamstrings, may make them regret that.
Josh Johnson:
  • Why It's Good For Them - When healthy... I'm not sure there is a better pitcher in all of baseball. I include Roy Halladay, Clayton Kershaw, Justin Verlander and King Felix into that equation.
  • Why It's Bad For Them - When is the last time Johnson went through a full season healthy? Anyone? The kiss of death here? He's a keeper on my fantasy team.
Heath Bell:
  • Why It's Good For Them - Bell is one of the TOP closers in baseball and was likely the best reliever on the market since Mariano pretended to be a few years back.
  • Why It's Bad For Them - Bell got a LOT of money. While I don't think that they bid themselves into oblivion (like the Mets with Oliver Perez) I do think that they'll regret the money tied into him before the end.
Mark Buehrle:
  • Why It's Good For Them - Mark has been one of the most steady starters in the American League for YEARS. He's also a pretty good human being.
  • Why It's Bad For Them - They paid WAY too much for a guy who I don't think deserves to be a top team's #2 starter anymore. While they needed to bring in a big pitcher they would have been better off spending the extra cash on Darvish or Wilson.
The New Stadium:
  • Why It's Good For Them - New stadiums are nice and AC is DOUBLY nice in the hot swampy mess of Summer in Miami. PLUS: They have GIANT aquariums behind home plate... AWESOME!!!
  • Why It's Bad For Them - It's not... but color me skeptical that Miami will become a baseball town like Philadelphia. (Their fans are jerks but they show up) I'll be impressed if the NEW Miami stadium with their NEW players and UGLY uniforms have packed houses through the middle months of the season.

10 comments:

David Groveman said...

Dear Marlin Fans:

I'm not saying that I'm not jealous of your situation, I just am also saying that there are potential pitfalls.

Mack Ade said...

this is going to sound like sur grapes, but I still don't see enugh here to wind up in the standing ahead of the Mets...

I also see a tremendous amount of ego banging against each other in both the clubhouse and the dugout

David Groveman said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
David Groveman said...

I would say their lineup should produce and that a rotation headed up by Josh Johnson is nothing to sneeze at.

I agree that the ego issue will be big.

Joe said...

Where does Bonifacio fit into this? I'd hope he proved himself enough last season to earn a starting spot this year, no?

Joe said...

Where does Bonifacio fit into this? I'd hope he proved himself enough last season to earn a starting spot this year, no?

David Groveman said...

@ Joe,

I'm not a Marlin expert so I'd imagine that Emilio would be getting time in CF and at 2B with Coghlan and Infante being mediocre players. I like Omar Infante hitting second in ways that I just don't like Coghlan or Bonifacio.

Frankly, I don't exactly think the Marlin season will hinge on any of those three players.

More likely it hinges on Hanley Ramirez bouncing back and growing up and Josh Johnson staying healthy and being what he's always been, (WHEN HEALTHY).

Mack Ade said...

I'm sorry about my spelling.

My laptop has six broken keyes and sometimes they just don't print out the letters I click.

I have a lot of things going on at the same time and I forget to go back and read my posts before I click on "send".

I'll slow down and try to do bedder... err... better

Anonymous said...

The Marlins look like a mediocre team at best to me, and I can't picture them winning more than 82-84 games, and that's with everything going right for them, and if the baseball gods' treatment of McCourt and Wilpon is any indication, I don't predict they will spare mercy on Jeff Loria.

Chris Coghlan lives off of a flukey RoY season (in which he didn't deserve it anyway). John Buck is like Josh Thole Lite, Gaby Sanchez is essentially Casey Kotchman Lite, and Omar Infante and Emilio Bonifacio are just...blah.

Will Josh Johnson manage to pitch a full season? Buehrle isn't as good as R.A. Dickey has been anymore, and they paid him way too much. I like Anibal Sanchez (I hope the Mets sign him next offseason, or maybe Greinke) and Nolasco, but will Nolasco's stats reflect his talent? Big Z is just a headache and doesn't have much left.

I like Heath Bell but they gave way too much him, and all of his peripheral stats show a sharp and ugly regression.

Reyes is a beast, and one of my all time favorite players, but he's been three different players the past three years. Will they get superstar 2011 Jose, meh 2010 Jose, or MIA 2009 Jose? Notice all three Joses have been injured at some point. For that matter how will Hanley respond, and what kind of player will he be? Will he bounce back, or will he dog it all season? What if Matt Dominguez outperforms him?

Logan Morrison has a world of potential, but so far, he's fielded like Lucas Duda, ran like Lucas Duda, but hasn't hit like Lucas Duda. Advantage Duda (if only we could get him in left).

I will say that Mike Stanton is an absolute beast who will smash the cover off of the ball all season long and will be a superstar for the next decade. But will he be a one man show? Will it be The Greatest Show On Earth?

They're basically the Mets with less upside and a bad farm system. I don't see Jeff Loria smiling at the end of the season.

Mack Ade said...

what an excellent post...

hey anonymous....

wanna join the site ?