5/6/13

Ernest Dove - A Family That Watches the Mets Together, Stresses Together.

                            A family that watches the Mets together, stresses together.
As I write this post, I sit in an apartment in Las Vegas (yeah, I know, who has time to write while in VEGAS).
I am thankful, excited, and downright giddy about the opportunity to write about my beloved Mets on Mack’s Mets. So, here I go.  First, a little about me.
I was born in Staten Island, New York, and later moved with my family to the state of Florida. I pursued a career in law enforcement. I later moved on to working in the field of social services, mostly working with severely emotionally disturbed children. After seeking a change in my life, I packed my bags, and booked a one-way flight out west to Los Angeles, California. To this day I continue to work with children and families and have since used my decade of experience in the field of social services to publish my first book, "From Correctional Officer To Youth Counselor. My struggle to help others, and myself".
I was recently back in South Florida spending time with family, and watching our beloved Mets. I even went to Marlins Stadium to see our future super hero pitcher Matt Harvey.  It seemed like a great idea.
As long time Mets fans, my friend Scot, sister, brother-law and I knew how to judge the game…….with stressful worry. Pitch after pitch, we stared at the scoreboard. Not at balls and strikes, but to look at the pitch count.  As true Mets fans, we could sense what was going on. We worried about everything. We were overjoyed when Buck smashed another homer to give us the lead. We then worried, pitch after pitch, as Harvey looked more and more like a hero who would only give us 5 innings.
I, of course, had a flight to catch at 7am the next morning to Vegas. But no worries, right? Harvey + Marlins = W. At long last, the Mets of course were winning in the 9th. And, of course, thanks to a misplay by a guy (a ‘defensive replacement’ of course) who doesn’t even play for the team anymore.  And then comes the ongoing stress and frustration that only a true Mets fan can feel.
Inning after inning, we seemed to contemplate life. Will the Mets ever score again? How long before the bullpen blows it? Will this game ever end?  Will I be going straight from the game to the airport? After the pressure of being a Mets fan finally got to us (along with sleepiness and my flight), we left in the 12th inning. Only to race home just in time to watch the Mets blow it in the 15th. The life of a Mets fan. Alone, I can scream in peace. As a family, we fuel each other’s frustration. He hate everything, and everyone, on the Mets. And yet, a day later, we root for our team…..And now, as of today, I officially start writing about them……………..Go METS !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

2 comments:

Mack Ade said...

Welcome to Mack's Mets (though I did think you were older...)

Unknown said...

Being a Mets fan ages you....Thanks for having me