7/2/13

Mack Ade – The Frustration of it All


My routine is pretty constant during the season.

I spend the daytime attending ‘home games’ in Savannah. Well, actually, I don’t stay for the game. I just go there around 2:0opm for BP, to sit with some of the scouts, interview a player or two, and just try to walk away with something that no one else in the Mets writing world knows yet.

I ten spend the rest of the daytime talking to my ‘contacts’. I wish I could tell you more about them but I can’t. I make around five calls a day and around three get through. My contacts trust me because I don’t burn them with the information they share with me. Much of it is just their opinions and you’d be surprised how few of them work for the Mets.

I get home around 6:00 and turn on the SNY pre game show.

I open Windows for the Mets game and each of the minor league games in progress. I sit in my living room with MLB-TV on while I bounce around from page to page. I try and pay a little more attention to the parent club’s game because this all makes a little more sense if they happen to win.

Additionally, I scroll down my Twitter page which includes the writings of around 150 baseball experts that I follow. I get a lot of good information here, like tonight when a couple of the Mets beat dudes said that Shaun Marcum was wincing in pain while pitching. You’re not going to read that on a stat page.

I don’t get Mets baseball games in South Carolina, though I do get SNY. They block out South Carolina. Maybe Mookie Wilson’s old baseball coach pissed them off. I do get the pre and post game (unbelievable) and, watching that gives me a good feel for what on out there. Add to this all the ‘action’ in the minors and I then finish my ‘morning report’.

Nothing seems to change. Every night I wait for some additional Met to become a great hitter and it doesn’t happen. Every night I look to see if the system is developing a solution to the lack of bats in Queens, but it’s just not there. We’re going to have to wait this one out folks and hope that the master plan to control our destiny through pitching works.

Even through this the Mets have been 5th in the major leagues since May 26th with a 3.31 ERA. It is working, though it sure would frustrate a lot us a lot less if we could win a couple of more 8-7 games.

I just went through my page by page scanning and I see David Wright singled in Eric Young and we’re down only 3-1 now.

See?


Baby steps.

2 comments:

Hobie said...

Been out of the country for almost 2 months and Mack, let me tell you, this & your "AM Report" are what I missed most.

Trying to keep up--did hear about the Yankee sweep and the Harvey/Wheeler DH in Atlanta while at sea (literally)--but (pleasantly) surprised to see Puello raking and Satin, who I've liked since his Cyclone days, succeeding.

So...can I believe in Akeel Morris again?

Mack Ade said...

Akeel and I keep in touch.

He's very happy being a reliever now and he's white hot doing it. I look for him to move quickly if his arm stays healthy. He seems to have found the zone while maintaining velocity because he knows he's never going to throw more than 35-40 pitches.

The only thing holding Puello back is an all-star game and a probably 50-game suspension when the big Florida PED story comes out... I expect that to be the first 50 games next year.

Satin just got lucky. The Mets have never respected his game and they had no choice but to promote him. He's a 6-year man and he's gone next year by his choice. The good news for him is the fact that it looks like he will be able to work out a good deal for himself.