7/30/13

Post Draft: MM's Top 25- #7 RHP Jacob DeGrom

Now that the draft is over, Mack’s Mets will be reviewing the performances of our organizational Top 25 prospects and re-ranking them based on their individual performances, perceived place on the depth chart, and recent draft signings.

Look to the top of our page to find the current rankings that we have done already

Mack’s Mets #7 organizational prospect is……

#7 RHP Jacob DeGrom (LR: #13)
Bats: L Throws: R
Height: 6′ 4″ Weight: 185 lb
Acquired: 2010 Rule 5 Draft, 9th round, Stetson University

2013: (A+/AA/AAA) 6-6, 4.44 ERA, 2.9 BB/9, 7.5 K/9, 1.461 WHIP
2012: (A/A+) 9-3, 2.43 ERA, 1.6 BB/9, 7.8 K/9, 0.997 WHIP
2011: Tommy John Surgery
2010: (R) 1-1, 5.19 ERA, 2.1 BB/9, 7.6 K/9, 1.577 WHIP

Here we all though we were heavily drinking the Kool-Aid when we ranked DeGrom 13th in our last prospect listing. Turns out not only were we right, but we obviously weren't drinking enough! DeGrom has sped through the middle levels of the organization making spots in St. Lucie and Binghamton before finally settling into Las Vegas. During his 10 starts for Binghamton, DeGrom wasn't great as he saw his K/9 rate drop by almost 3 and his BB rate double. However he did show flashes of potential like in his 5/27 start against the Portland Sea Dogs when he lasted 6 innings and struck out 9 while giving up only 2 earned.

Roster shortages in Las Vegas forced the Mets hand into offering DeGrom a promotion he seemingly wasn't ready for, but he took the opportunity to go on a 3 start good performance streak giving the Mets confidence that perhaps he could become a contributor in the near future. Lets begin to curbed our enthusiasm though as he still only has a ceiling of at best a #4 starter, but, at least his floor has been upgraded from AAA cannon fodder to serviceable middle reliever. That, combined with his near MLB readiness, earns him this spot on the prospect list. DeGrom is Rule 5 eligible this winter so look for the Mets to add him to the 40 man roster and call him up September 1st when roster expand.

12 comments:

Mack Ade said...

This is a perfect example of why I'm happy you're ranking the Mets prospects now.

I just have never 'got' deGrom and I have no idea where his future is with this team.

Soto said...

IMO....I dont think he has a future with the Mets earlier.

I think the team is hoping he comes up in September, throws 3 very good starts, so that they can flip him for a bat during the off-season.

Hobie said...

Is DeG the sweetener (with Byrd) to land Polanco (PITT) or Sardinas (TX)? What more, Valdy? :-)

Soto said...

My thought exactly.

Michael S. said...

Bullpen arm or part of a trade package. I wish he'd cut his hair it looks ridiculous.

Jenny said...

This is too high.

Soto said...

Would you please throw in your two cents as to who you believe should be higher so far?

Jenny said...

I mean I would have a completely different list but Degrom would be around 16-18 for me. He's a future reliever who's a year older than Harvey and has been getting pummeled in AAA. So, most of your list? Is that an adequate answer?

Jenny said...

You're doing a good job with the list, Soto. deGrom has a limited ceiling and is too old to even be a "prospect" in my book. I imagine you didn't include Alan Dykstra for that reason but deGrom is only a year younger and isn't even as good.

Soto said...

Thanks for the input.

In my defense the guys currently between 10-20 are mostly guys who project at tops to be bench or back end of the rotation/bullpen prospects who may have higher ceilings but also have very low floors such as AAA cannon fodder.

In my opinion, DeGrom has upgraded his floor to sure fire MLB middle reliever which is still a MLB contributor aka a WAR producer. That along with his ceiling as a #4 starter and his proximity to the MLB drove me to rank him in the Top 10.

Also DeGrom was practically lights out in his first 3 starts in Las Vegas and has split the past 4 starts, 2 good, 2 bad.

Soto said...

My ommission of Dykstra has more to do with A) the mechanics in his swing not translating to the MLB well then B) his age. 26 I believe in AA.

If i extended to a Top 40 he would be between 35-40 however. But again just like my post on Matt Den Dekker who is #19. In my book you are a prospect until you turn 26 or until the MLB club considers you a significant contributor to the club.

Charley said...

deGrom has a good arm. Started pitching late, had tommy John and has bounced back nicely. He's a bit old, but could at the very least end up a good reliever. A nice arm regardless.

With the rest of the Mets system, he'd be out of my top ten, but I don't take off too many points for being in A ball. I like potential over being closer to the bigs. I'd put a Matz or a Fulmer ahead of deGrom.

I'd have Puello somewhere between 7-10, but once it's official that he took Roid's, if he acrually gets suspended, he'd be bounced. No fake muscles in my top ten!