11/19/20

SAVAGE VIEWS – This and not That


You know it would be untrue


You know I would be a liar


If I was to say to you


I’m glad to be back from Jamaica


Baby, baby light my fire.


As the saying goes too much of a good thing is never enough.  My son and I had a great time until the money ran out.


Right now I am on fire after events of the past week.


About Willie - I read the NY Post daily from my perch in New Bern, North Carolina. I don’t remember whether it was Ken Davidoff or Joel Sherman making the claim that one of the best things the Mets did over the past 30 years was hire Willie Randolph.  What I do recall is that Willie was a candidate for a number of managerial positions before being hired by the Mets.  The word on the street was that he was generally unprepared during interviews.  I thought it was a bad hire and events proved me right.  He always appeared like a deer in the headlights.  There is a reason no other organization has offered him a position since.


Keep Rojas – I agree with the consensus that Luis Rojas should be retained as manager for 2021.  I considered him to be a good hire instead of the more experienced choices preferred by others.  No one can dispute that 2020 was an aberration and Luis deserves a full season to prove his mettle.  What I have trouble reconciling is these same columnists claiming Luis was a sound field manager.  I saw no evidence of that.  What I witnessed was a passive approach to running the team.  The team appeared to be lackluster at times.  If Luis employed a strategy it escaped my notice. Stealing a base, hit and run, taking an extra base all seemed to be taken out of the playbook.  Luis deserves an extended chance but let’s not make him something he is not, yet.  I understand the media loves him and supposedly the players respect him.  Personally, I don’t give a fig. 


As much as we all wanted Callaway fired, remember the team played hard for him and the Mets won eight (8) more games each of his two years. They went from 70 to 78 to 86 wins.  In retrospect not a bad accomplishment.  Imagine his record had Cano and Diaz not tanked in 2019.


Kim Ng hired as GM for Marlins – She appears to have paid her dues and has the bona-fides to be appointed to the GM position.  However, the man she replaced is generally well regarded and nearly everyone agrees that he did a marvelous job of running the Marlins and making them a contender.  You would think he would be an easy re-hire for an extended period of time. Trouble is he wanted to be paid accordingly and the Marlins wanted to cut his compensation.


Given the facts you would expect outrage in replacing a very qualified Black man with an Asian women.  But, you see, it’s an economic decision.  Successful Black man seeks to be paid similar to his peers, except that the Asian woman is willing to work for lower wages.  The reality is that if Ng had insisted on being paid the going rate for someone with her background, she would not have been hired.  How come the Media and woman’s rights organizations are not up in arms?  Whatever happened to the mantra “Equal pay for equal Work”?   And, of course, the Marlins are basking in the sun for their latest PR triumph.


I would be delighted if the Mets find room in their organization for the highly talented Michael Hill. 


6 comments:

Tom Brennan said...

Good points. Randolph did not do much. We get many second tier managers.

Callaway only got to 86 wins due to Alonso and McNeil's outstanding 2019 contributions.

If Rojas cannot inspire, even with what should be a superior 2021 Mets team that may not need a lot of inspiration, a change should be made. Davey Johnson won 108 games in 1986 with low key. I wonder if Rojas could have done the same with that tremendous group.

Gary Seagren said...

Good points RD and couldn't agree more. I also wonder how much of the decision process Rojas was involved in and how much was FO related.

Remember1969 said...

As long as it does not also include any of the top three draft picks from either 2019 or 2020. That is Baty, Wolf, Allan, Crow-Armstrong, Ginn, and Greene. Oh yeah, not Alvarez either. I would do Vientos, or possibly include Peterson or Szapucki.

RDS900 said...

Heard PCA would be part of deal to include McNeil. Hope not.

RDS900 said...

Don't consider Davy low key. The '86 Mets were a nasty in your face group. Would not like to meet any of those guys in a dark alley.

Tom Brennan said...

Ray, Davey seemed mellow to me but yep, those Mets were nails-tough. Partied too much, but tough, which I loved.