11/18/20

Tom Brennan - SHOULD THE METS CONSIDER SIGNING FORMER MET FARMHAND LHP JOSE QUINTANA?



My guess on him is "PERHAPS", in regards to answering the question in the title, but in it just goes to show you how weird baseball can be.


As a newly signed teenager in the Developmental League for the Mets in 2006, Jose Quintana did ABSOLUTELY NOTHING to indicate future success:


5.1 IP, 6 H, 8 BB, 2 HBP, 7 runs.  That's his entire 2006 season.   Very young, but very unimpressive.


He then compounded his undesirability by missing all of 2007 on a drug policy violation, and understandably, the Mets passed on him.


He got picked up by the Yanks in 2008, and  in 2008-11 pitched really well up to South Atlantic League A ball.  


But he declared free agency (so weird that a year lost due to drug suspension still counts towards the time needed to reach minor league free agency) and got picked up by the White Sox, with whom he made a solid MLB debut in 2012.


He has gone 83-73, 3.73 in 1,496 MLB innings.  Quite solid.


Compare to the 2 years younger Steve Matz, who in the last 4 seasons has gone just 18-33, 4.83, with a HR allowed every 5.4 IP.  Quintana over the past 4 seasons, much of it pitched at smaller Wrigley, has allowed a much better HR every 7.9 IP.


In the time flies department, former Met teenager Quintana is turning 32 in January and is a free agent.


QUESTIONS: 


Would anyone reading this missive consider Quintana as a back-of-the-rotation alternative to Steve Matz?  


And would he be good enough to be considered for  Cohen 2021 team?






7 comments:

bill metsiac said...

Worth considering, but with the huge # of expected FAs coming up in a few weeks, plus those already on the market, he's one of a school of fish in the pond.

Tom Brennan said...

Bill, I agree with you. The fish pond should be stocked soon. Kohls 30% off coupons will be accepted.

One question is, would you prefer Quintana to Matz? I would, despite his age. Matz and his 20-40 record in his last 60 games and obscene ERA over that span does not inspire me to factor him in for 2021. I think Matz, on a pitching-short team, gets non-tendered.

Reese Kaplan said...

In the Wilpon era they would be looking for a Bed, Bath & Beyond 50% off coupon before even taking a look.

I am in favor of non-tendering Matz and inviting him back on a minor league deal.

Tom Brennan said...

Reese, I guess that would depend on whether Matz would want to stay local. He might do better on a sub-.500 small market team.

Heck he might want to follow Chris Flexen's career path to Korea to fix himself pitching to AA quality hitters.

bill metsiac said...

I probably would, but the bogger question is would I prefer him over Tanaka, Walker, Odorizzi, or multiple other options?

Remember1969 said...

Bill, yea, I agree. I am looking at the younger, potentially higher upside guys like Walker, Odorizzi, and even Paxton for a lefty.

Call me a sucker, but I still prefer Matz over Quintana at this point. There is just something inside me that keeps saying that Matz has something that just hasn't found the surface yet. I think he will be one of those guys that with the right situation, he can blossom in his 30's. A J.A. Happ type.

In no way do I consider non-tendering Matz, especially since he is a lefty. For $5M, and the dearth of pitching all over the place, he may not be a prime trade chip, but certainly a key filler piece or a piayer that someone will take a chance on for a couple of prospects. I mentioned two the other day - the Angels, with Calloway out there, and the Cubs who are looking for pitching patches.

Anonymous said...

My rule of thumb is to generally assume that a badly underperforming pitcher is injured.

Matz, when healthy, is simply not a 9.00+ ERA guy. He wasn't right. You can't analyze the data all you want, but it's flawed info.

Most pitchers aren't fully healthy, of course. Matz just may be a guy who isn't able to pitch through the pain that other successful pitchers endure.

How many are 100% healthy? Not many, not often.

I had hoped he was fit and ready in the False Spring of the February. He looked and sounded different. Then there was the break. And Covid. And when he came back, it wasn't nearly the same.

Where do we go with that? I have no idea. Other than I don't think you can count on him. But I'd hate to give him up, too. The Mets are in a tough position with this one.

If the Mets cut him -- and then he gets right and pitches up to his capability for, say, the Brewers -- Tom will write a big article about how stupid the Mets are and how can't make these mistakes. But circumstances drive these decisions. Payroll. All sorts of factors.

I'm not sure what I'd do at this point, honestly. Except have some long conversations with my team doctors and coaches and, yeah, get a good sense of what's in this guy's heart and head. As a fan, I'm not in a position to do any of those things.

Jimmy