3/5/21

Tom Brennan - SPRING TRAINING JOY IN METSVILLE

You know that not every player is going to breeze through spring training.

But early on, one thing I always love is seeing the young prospects get into games.  

I also love seeing talented guys struggling for years embracing the chance to crack their glass ceiling and make their way onto the major league roster.

So far, we see:

Pete Crow-Armstrong, pictured above, having never had a single official pro at bat, amazingly gets right into spring training games.  The teenager hasn't managed a hit yet, going 0 for 6, with just 2 Ks. but what a thrill, to see how the Mets' # 1 pick fresh out of High School can handle major league pitching.  I believe this challenge will help him succeed more quickly.

Brett Baty - showing off some big power, getting a couple of hard hits and a couple of rib steaks.

Ronny Mauricio picking up a couple of hits - looking a lot, to me, like a young switch hitting Darryl Strawberry.

Mark Vientos also looking mighty competent at the plate.  One for two and FOUR WALKS?  Shazaam!!  Interesting after he only walked once every 20 plate appearances in 2019.


And older prospects looking to pry open the door to the major leagues for the first time or keep their career alive, like: 

Drew Ferguson, a minor leaguer who career is a fine .293/.394/.452, is 3 for 4 and a walk so far.  Who doesn't love an .800 OBP?  Count me in.

Patty Mazeika is 1 for 3 and a walk.  Always has had a decent OBP.  We may well see him during 2021.

Jose Peraza, a career .270 MLB hitter in 2,005 plate appearances, and still just 26 years old, is 1 for 4 and 2 walks.

Speedy Johneshwy Fargas is 1 for 5 and a walk.

Speedy Mallex Smith, who likes to walk, is 0 for 3, with 3 walks.

I love to see these types of guys do their thing.  For me, it makes spring training fun.  To me, there is time to get the "serious, every game counts regular season game face" on. 

Plenty of similar fun pitching stats from similar types of players so far, too. 

Now, this early in spring training, all I really care about is how guys like these are doing.  

And I am smiling.


11 comments:

Mack Ade said...

I'm not sure about Ferguson after the 360 degrees fluff up yesterday to ruin Betances' inning.

Anonymous said...

Ferguson looked abysmal defensively. Not only on the Betances play -- which was awful -- but on another can of corn he managed to catch.

Got a strong Tebow vibe.

John From Albany said...

Great stuff Tom.

Jimmy - guess we are seeing why Ferguson never got past AAA with Houston and why San Fran gave him back to Houston after taking him in the Rule 5 draft.

Gary Seagren said...

Mauricio looking like a young Strawberry..WOW!!! Also you got my guy Fargas in there props Tom.

Mack Ade said...

I wish they would move this kid to the outfield.

Tom Brennan said...

Mack, maybe they will move Mr Mauricio out there. If I were him, I'd want the path of least resistance to getting to the majors. They do, though, say his speed is not great.

I do want to caution on first impressions on Ferguson defensively. He is fast and has played almost 400 outfield games in the minors, with 25 assists and just 12 errors. Those numbers look excellent to me, without drilling down further on his defensive WAR. Just having above average speed in the OF is usually something that covers a multitude of sins.

Mike Steffanos said...

Nice piece, Tom. I haven't been this excited about spring training in many, many years

nickel7168 said...

ESPN…YOU SUCK!
That was the worst coverage of a baseball game I have EVER seen.
Rarely did they mention any of the hitters or pitchers performing
as they concentrated on their BULLSH*T interviews during 100% of the game.
Especially in Spring Training, when you’re seeing one prospect after another, somebody has to announce WHO you are watching at the plate or on the mound…horrible. I am actually interested in the prospects. Even minor league broadcasts are superior to this.
I finally turned off the sound and followed the play -by-play on MLB.com

Anonymous said...

Nickel,

I agree.

It was as if they made a corporate decision -- nobody cares about the actual game -- so let's fill it wall-to-wall with interviews.

And even the interviews weren't about baseball!

With Lindor, it was all cult of personality bs. His sneakers, his hair, the jacket, the playlist. A stupid gigglefest to signal HOW MUCH FUN we're all having.

Ugh.

Lindor is a thoughtful baseball player with perceptions and insights and opinions. So, of course, talk about PIZZA!

ESPN has no trust, no faith, in the baseball audience. I mean, only a baseball diehard is tuning into a 1:00 PM game on a workday and they completely ignored that kind of fan.

Maybe they have data that tells them otherwise.

It was sad to see Tim Kurkijian playing along with that BS. He at least loves the game. A shame to see him contribute to that level of disrespect for the game, the players, the fans. Of course, he only got truly excited when he could riff on Lou Gehrig's 90-year-old stats.

Jimmy

Tom Brennan said...

Mike, I was happy when Pete his laser grand slam, but somehow for me, seeing Pete Crow up there thrilled me more. It is all about a glimpse of future good things being unearthed. Vientos and BATY too, especially. I felt that way about Mauricio when he played last spring.

Tom Brennan said...

Boy, I am glad I missed that ESPN GAR-BAGE.