2/26/10

Q&A: - SP - Mike Antonini

Q&A – SP – Mike Antonini:




Mack: Hey Mike, thanks for spending some time with the Mackster. You and I go back to Savannah, but why not first take us back to that wonderful day when you were drafted... tell us about it.



Mike: Draft day I was at home with my mom listening to the draft on the computer. Going through the same situation a year earlier, I wasn't sure what to expect. I just wanted a shot to further my baseball career. A few rounds into the draft my uncle John came over and suggested we go grab some lunch. On our way to lunch my mom called, saying "The METS just drafted you in the 18th round!!" It couldn't have been 5 minutes that we had left the house so we turned around and came back. I started receiving calls and texts from past teammates and coaches who were listening. A couple days later I was on a flight to West Palm to get my career started.



Mack: So, you spend the 2007 season in Kingsport (1-1, 3.71, 1.60) and Brooklyn (0-0, 0.46, 0.92). Pretty incredible WHIP. Did you expect to start off that strong?



Mike: I wasn't sure what to expect. I wanted to prove myself to my teammates and the organization that I belonged. I was confident in my control and many of the Mets pitching philosophies were the same I used in my college career.



Mack: 2008 was a crazy, meteoric year... first Savannah (4-4, 2.71, 1.08, in 13 starts), then on to Lucy (4-0, 1.84, 0.93 in 7 games), and then you finish the season with the B-Mets (1-3, 3.74, 1.29 in 8 starts). Objectively, a little too fast?



Mike: When I found out I was heading to Savannah to start the season my goal was to finish strong in St Lucie. I tried not to think about it much and just focus on what I needed to improve. As the season progressed certain injuries and call ups from Binghamton allowed me the opportunity to finish the season there and it was a big test for me. It all happened very quickly but I felt those doors opened for a reason and believed I belonged and mentally for me believing you belong is half the battle.



Mack: So, we move on to last year and, frankly, you were one of the darlings of spring training. You even pitched in the big intra-squad game against the big boys. Tell us about that and how many butterflies were flying around that day.



Mike: I was definitely a little nervous getting the opportunity to face the "big boys". It was a learning experience for me that I'll never forget. It was fun being around those guys and seeing the work they put in to being successful at the highest level. And YES, I still have that ball... kind of wondered how you even tracked that thing down! Thanks Mack!



Mack: First, let's explain "the ball"... Mike pitched against Carlos Beltran in the first intra-squad game, who put one over the left field wall off him... I was sitting out behind the bullpen BSing with Josh Thole, and noticed no one ran out to get the ball. Then I remembered that the only way you could get it was to have credentials for that area. I quietly got it and gave it to Mike after the outing...

Let's move on to the 2009 season... in your opinion, were you pleased with the end result?



Mike: 2009 had its ups and downs for me. I wasn't pleased with my performance for most of the year. I learned a lot about pitching without having my best stuff. I was able to walk away from last year recognizing that I was still able to compete in those situations. I feel well rested and extremely motivated to begin the 2010 season.



Mack: Last question Mike... anything you want to share with your fans out there in Metland?



Mike: I just want to say thank you for your support, I appreciate it.


From"The Keepers"

27. Mike Antonini – SP – AA –


Antonino’s senior year stats at GC&SU were 7-6, 3.97 in 15 starts, 91.0 IP, 89 H, 19 BB, and 89 Ks.

The Mets selected Antonini in the 18th round (573rd overall) of the 2007 amateur draft out of Georgia College & State University. He has been assigned to Kingsport to kick off his pro career. Antonini is a native of Aston, PA

In 2007, Antonini started the season with Kingsport (1-1, 3.71, 1.06 in 5 appearances, 3 starts), but finished it with Brooklyn (0-0, 0.46, 0.92 in 7 appearances, 2 starts).

In late January 2007, Baseball America ranked Mike as the 26th overall Mets prospect, adding: "Paul loduca caught antonini at brooklyn and proclaimed his changeup big league ready"

Antonini had a meteoric rise in 2008, pitching for Savannah (4-4, 2.71), St. Lucie (4-0, 1.84), and Binghamton (1-3, 3.74), all of which combined for 9-7, 2.77.

In October 2008, Toby Hyde on Mike Antonini: Antonini had a great year, earning his promotions first to St. Lucie and then to Binghamton. The night I saw him in Binghamton, Antonini worked off a fastball that was 87-91, but mostly 88/89. He commanded it to both sides of the plate. He faced a lineup with eight batters who hit from the right side and featured his changeup as his second pitch. It was inconsistent, without great movement and often elevated. He allowed a homerun on an elevated changeup at 83 mph. He was cautious about throwing his slider to the RHH, and with good reason, since it was a little sweeping. Note that once Antonini reached AA, his homerun and walk rates spiked, while his strikeout rate was 6.3 K/9, the lowest of any of his three stops in 2008. Likely 09 Start: AA

From Toby Hyde: Antonini graduated from both full-season A-ball leagues in his first full professional season, and that success from a left-hander counts for something. His fastball is fringe-average from the left side, sitting at 88-89 when I saw him in July. He touched 91, but did not pitch at that velocity. The fastball plays up thanks to good command as he can spot it to both sides of the plate. His changeup is his second pitch, but when he didn’t finish the pitch, it stayed up, and got hit hard in AA. 2008: SAL? Check. FSL? Check. AA? Working on it. Winter ball? No problem. That’s a great year. Projected 2009 Start: AA Binghamton rotation

February 2009: MYOB on: Mike Antonini LHP - drafted in the 18th round, he had a solid year playing at three different levels. He finished with an overall 2.71 ERA. He doesn’t throw hard and he lacks the stuff to be a top of the rotation starter, but he could be an effective back man. Currently pitching in Puerto Rico where his ERA is 3.60 in eight starts. One concern is that he gave up 10 homeruns in 45 innings pitching at AA Binghamton.

Forecast: Antonini seemed to get his game back on track at the end of the 2009 season, and it will be interesting to see if he is: A) sent to AAA to start, B) sent back to AA to start, or C) sent to the pen.

No comments: