2/21/10

Catching Situation, Joe D on Fred, Lennon on Barajas, Mets Showerman Loaths... and Johhny Lowe

Catching Situation:

Can you feel it in the air? Yes, it’s that time of the year and the start of the season is just a little over a month away. Since pitchers and catchers reported earlier this week, I thought it might be a good time to evaluate all of the catching options the Mets have this year. Let’s see, there’ rookie Josh Thole. And there’s…hmmm… Omir Santos of course. And…well…um…oh, yes…oh no, not him, he got traded to the White Sox. Oh yeah there’s Henry Blanco. And then, well…I guess there’s Chris Coste. And supposedly the Mets might be close to signing Rod Barajas to a major league contract which would mean that the Blue Jays would receive a compensation pick although at the time of this post that has not happened yet. And, well, that’s it…that’s everyone. - link

Joe D on Fred:

You can’t blame the Wilpons for not spending money because indeed they have, and lot’s of it. But there’s this culture that surrounds the Mets that just makes it difficult for the organization to operate as one cohesive unit. There was the friction between Davey Johnson and the Wilpons in 1986, but Cashen loved him so he wasn’t going anywhere. The rift between Bobby Valentine, Steve Phillips and the front office was legendary. Buddy Harrelson and Jeff Torborg both felt they were scapegoats and felt they were managing the team with their hands tied behind their backs. Willie Randolph felt he was being undermined every step of the way after his honeymoon period was over. It’s stuff like that which makes it difficult to run and manage a team for a GM or manager. This year will be no different as both Manuel and Omar will be operating while sitting in the proverbial hot-seats - link 

Lennon on Barajas:

It's not every often that Mets principal owner Fred Wilpon holds court with reporters, so when he discussed a number of topic yesterday after the pitchers workout, it was good to get some explanations from the top.

Of all the topics he touched on, I thought it was most interesting that Wilpon laid the responsibility of this offseason on his "baseball people" without mentioning anyone - link

Mets Showerman loaths:

Rey Ordonez - you and I could hit better then this guy

Vince Coleman - I hated him with the cardinals and hated him with the Mets

John Franco - it if was a big game he wouldn't close it!

Armondo Benitez - if it was a big game- he too wouldn't close it! Remember game 1 of the 2000 World Series?

The Wilpons - they are meddlesome! I am convinced that for as long as they own the team the Mets will not win. I am a fan of the uniform, not of the owners! I miss Nelson Doubleday! I could go on and on about the reasons why I think this. A note to Jeff Wilpon- a major league baseball team is not a toy you play with! I'm just saying.... link

Johnny Lowe:

I finished up my ST trip last night having dinner at Duffy's with legendary Mets blogger, Johnny Lowe (aka *62)... we both brought our axes, but we bullshitted too long to play. Excellent ending to an excellent trip... but one warning...  never take three hits from an original deadhead...  after three, I was on Sugar Mountain.

1 comment:

derekshowerman said...

Haha glad you posted the things I dont like. That section did however come from my all time Mets list of players I have seen play. :)

If I wasnt 35 it would have included Sever, Koosman, Harrelson and so on.

Thanks for the link love! I do feel strongly that the Wilpons are meddlesome and hope..beyond hope that I am wrong and the Mets win it all in the not to distant future.