2/18/10

Q&A with Nick Giarraputo


While Mack is on the road covering Spring Training from sunny Port St. Lucie, FL, I wanted to post another Q&A, this time with former teammate and current Mets farmhand Nick Giarraputo.

I remember Puto as a classic baseball-aholic, always ready to talk shop and breakdown pitchers, hitters, last night's game, etc. The kind of guy who could hit in the cages for hours and get angry when you told him you had enough. Always cracking jokes and keeping the mood light, Nick was the reason his teams always had great chemistry - in Baseball, we call that a "great clubhouse guy".

After leading the Appy League in doubles and putting together a solid campaign in 2007 for the Kingsport Mets, Nick has split time between Brooklyn and Savannah for the past 2 seasons, finishing up 2009 at a .397 clip in Savannah. Looking to build off that momentum, Nick is heading into spring training with a positive outlook and high hopes for the 2010 season. Here is what he had to say:

Teddy: Nick Giarraputo, the pride of Simi Valley, CA. Tell me about the days leading up to the 2006 draft, and what it was like to hear your name selected by the NY Mets.

Nick: Well the week leading up to my workout with the Mets, I was considering going to Cypress junior college in Orange County, CA. I went to meet the coaches there and the Mets scout was there told me “we’re lookin at you as a draft and follow” so I asked should I even go to the workout. He said absolutely I attended the workout at Cerritos junior college and did well enough. I turned some heads so I wasn’t sure (what) was gonna happen on draft day. I stayed home from school that day watching on the internet with my dad as each round was passing I was getting anxious and irritated not sure what was gonna happen. I was talking to my dad about different scenarios when the 12th round came up. I knew the only two teams I could go to were the Twins and the Mets so when the Mets came up I told me dad if I don’t get drafted in this round I’m going to school and before I could finish the sentence I turned looked at my dad on the couch and said dude I just got drafted! We were jumpin up and down going nuts it was by far the coolest thing ever seeing my name pop up! it was pretty funny I was getting so irritated. My sister gave me a lucky frog to hold on too for good luck and at some point I took that thing and I threw it off the wall lol

Teddy: Classic, lucky frog got dominated. What’s the first thing you bought with Fred Wilpon’s money?

Nick: I’m pretty sure that it was my car. I bought a 2005 Nissan Altima! I felt like the man when I walked into the dealership and said ya ill pay cash! Haha

Teddy: So you're entering year #5 as a New York Met, something less than 10% of Mets draftees (according to a statistic I completely made up) can say they have done...how would you say your career has progressed thus far as a Met and what are your hopes for 2010?

Nick: I think it’s been a great experience. I’m picking up so much every year I stay in this game talking to older guys watching the game in a different way I used to I watch big leaguers how they go about the game just tryin to pick up things that will help me improve my game! I can remember this year I was strugglin in Brooklyn and I saw the e60 interview with Evan Longoria about the mental game of baseball and I can truly say that day I read the interview changed my season and the way I go about my work! I think this year is a huge year for me I finished strong last year in Savannah and I’ve been working on keeping that feel of success and consistency and carrying it over into this season! All I care about this year is being a consistent ballplayer day in and day out. I try to take things a day at a time. When I first started I think I worried too much about the future and other players in the organization and it has been the main reason for my struggles and really exposed my immaturity as a player! I feel I have matured greatly over my time with the Mets and still have plenty of things to learn and improve on to become a successful ballplayer!

Teddy: Which teammates have really impressed you thus far?

Nick: I would say Lucas Duda. I haven’t played with him during the season but I have in spring training and instructional league. I like talking to him about the game, he’s helped me out alot the past couple years it seems like he’s always having quality at bats and is a very consistent player

Teddy: What's your most memorable moment in a Mets uniform so far?

Nick: Well I’m not sure if ill get in trouble for this response lol but my most memorable moment was my 1st spring training as an 18 year old during a sim game in the stadium I hit a home run off John Maine with Willie Randolph, Omar Minaya and Rick Peterson behind a screen watching. When I hit home plate, Willie Randolph said nice shot. that was really exciting for me and was a special moment for me when it happened!

Teddy: Ever rub that in Maine's face?

Nick: Haha no way. I wasn’t about to be the young kid who crosses the line with a big leaguer lol

Teddy: Where do you think you'll end up after Spring Training?

Nick: I don’t know where ill end up. I had a strong finish in Savannah last year, all I know is wherever they put me I’m ready. I can’t wait for spring training, I’m excited to get things going again!

Teddy: Anything to say to Mets Nation and the readers of Mack's Mets?

Nick: To all the Mets fans out there - 2010 is going to be a strong year up and down the ladder so stay up and stay excited take care!

Best of luck in 2010 Puto…keep swingin' the stick like you do

No comments: