9/10/10

METS Q&A - #75 - OF - John Semel

Mack: 

Morning girls and boys. We're speaking this morning to the Mets' 26th round draft pick in the 2009 draft, outfielder John Semel. Hey John. Are you back in SoCal?

Semel:

Hey Mack, Yes, I'm back in SoCal after an arduous but rewarding season. I'm actually back at my college Chapman University. I had class the day I got back from the season, so I have been been really busy since I have gotten home. Sleep is for the weary I guess.

Mack:

John, the first question is easy.... take us back to that day when you found out you were drafted by a professional baseball team... how was that?

Semel:

I was in Green Bay Wisconsin playing summer ball, and I was on the field at the time. I had no idea I was even drafted until my scout called me and congratulated me. It was an unbelievable feeling, just knowing all your hard work and dedication had paid off. Its something you dream about when you're a kid to play professional baseball, and I was grateful that the Mets gave me an opportunity.

Mack:

You signed and was sent to Kingsport for the 2009 season. Was the level of competition higher than you played against in school and summer ball?

Semel:

I would say the talent was much higher, however in the Appalachian League there were guys with a tremendous amount of talent but really had no feel for the game. There was more of an emphasis on learning the game in Kingsport and Rookie ball, where as in school and summer ball the fundamentals were established and the emphasis was on the actual execution of the game.

Mack: 


Very well put. I don't think most of the readers out there realize that the first thing someone has to do in the professional ranks is to "learn how to play the game" they've been playing all their lives.



Obviously, the year paid off for you. You hit .301 this season for K-Port. Anything particular'y different this season verses the year before?

Semel:

I think this season I kind of knew what to expect. My first year sometimes I felt overwhelmed. The physical grind of the season and inconsistent playing time really affected my play. This year, although I came into spring training hurt, I was mentally prepared to play baseball day in and day out. I would say the biggest difference was being able to consistently perform physically and mentally every day.

Mack:

But, like everything else, last year is yesterday's news. So, in 2011, it's either Brooklyn or Savannah. I know you're not going to speculate which one would make you happier, but isn't the goal of every minor leaguer to first, play for a full season team, then worry some day about the majors?

Semel:

Yes, I would definitely say that you are right with that. The closer the better, but with high performance and some luck all roads head toward Citi Field. And like you said 2010 is yesterday's news, so in 2011 I have to prove myself and fight for a spot again because it is a privilege to be playing professional baseball.

Mack:

Well. based on how straight your head is on, I have a funny feeling you and I will be having hot wings at Coach's Corner, near the Gnats stadium, sometime next spirng.


Thanks for the time, stay healthy, enjoy the off-season, and I'll see you in March on the back fields. - Mack

Semel:

 Ha, Hope so, hot wings are up there with my favorite foods. Thanks for having me, see you in spring.  - John


Old Semel stuff...


Semel was drafted by the Mets in the 26th round of the 2009 draft.



http://www.d3baseball.com/notables/2009/06/17/.html  - When most college students are at the beach or in an office completing an internship over the summer, a few athletes get the opportunity to play summer baseball. No class, no responsibility except coming to the park to play every day. John Semel, a D3baseball.com All-American from Chapman, is one of these lucky few. Semel plays for the Green Bay Bullfrogs in the Northwoods League; at least for now. He was selected by the New York Mets in the 26th round on June 10th, finding out the news just after his team had taken the field for batting practice. He's currently undecided on his future, as he still has two years remaining in his NCAA eligibility. The Northwoods League is regarded as one of the top summer leagues in terms of talent next to Cape Cod. The NWL boasts fourteen teams and a 68 game schedule in 74 days.


He signed immediately and was assigned to Kingsport, where he hit .215/.324/.223/.547 in 121-AB.



Semel returned to Kingsport and excelled: .301/.350/.387/.737 in 163-AB. He had 14-RBIs and has yet to hit a professional home run. His season ended with a late call-up to St. Lucie.

2011 Forecast: -  Semel has earned his next bump, but the problem is prospects like Cory Vaughn, Darrell Ceciliani, Matt den Dekker, and Javier Rodriquez will get the first nod. I'm sure John would like to head straight to Savannah, but he'll probably get his name written in the starting lineup more often if he starts the 2011 season in Brooklyn.

No comments: