10/10/11

Q and A with Mack and... IF Josh Satin


Hey folks. We're talking today to second baseman... err, no, outfielder... err, well... first baseman... we'll let him explain this... It's the Mets Josh Satin.  Hey Josh... hell of a ride this year, huh?

Satin:  Thanks, Mack. It was definitely a fun year that ended with my childhood dreams finally coming true. Looking back it is pretty unbelievable to think I was playing in Binghamton in late July and then found myself starting in Washington DC only five weeks later.

Mack:  Well, let's go back a year ago when you and I discussed this and let's make sure everyone realizes that it was YOUR choice to go back to Binghamton and be a starter, plus work at first base.  That is how I remember it, right?

Satin:   It wasn't exactly my choice to go back to Binghamton, but the Mets decided it was in my best interest to go back there and enable me to play every day and play a multiple positions to benefit my future. I was able to play almost equal games at second, third, and first which I think has given me a great advantage in my career. I also benefitted from last year fall instructional league because I was given plenty of one on one time with infield coordinator Kevin Morgan among other instructors. This enabled me to be ready to play all of these positions without having to learn new spots during this past season

Mack:  Josh, you turned in another stellar season in 2011 and it seemed like you were still blocked for advancement. Take us through that day you found out you were on the way to the Mets.

Satin:   When it's your protection year and you are having a successful season it’s hard to ignore the thoughts that you have a chance to get called up especially when you play for the Mets and there is so much media coverage and a lot of them are saying that I might get called up on September 1st. So that day was a crazy day for me. A lot of the guys on the team were telling me I was getting called up but you never know until it actually happens. The day was normal from the standpoint that we had a game and I went about my business the same way I always do. After the game I was sitting at my locker and our manager Tim Tuefel came up to me and said to meet him in his office. Obviously a million thoughts went through my mind and when i got there we started to talk about the game. I think we lost a close one that day so we were talking about what went wrong. Then at the end he said by the way you are going to the big leagues, congrats. I can’t even describe the feelings I felt. And Tuef has seen me from the first year I got drafted so he knows how hard I've had to work and how difficult it's been for me to get to this point so it was awesome sharing that moment with him

Mack:  And that first Met game was an away game, wasn't it?

Satin:   Actually my first game on the team was at home but the first game I played in was in Washington DC

Mack:  That's what it was... I was close.  Okay... first... in CitiField... in uniform.... "hard to stand up"?

Satin:   i was surprisingly relaxed that first day, maybe it was because I wasn't in the lineup and was able to take it all in or maybe it was because everyone was so welcoming but I was able to "stand up"

Mack:  Okay..  now.... let's get to that first at bat....

Satin:   Well, it was my third game in the big leagues and in both the first two games I had gone on deck but didn't get an at bat. both times the guy hitting before me made an out and I was unable to hit but I think that I was so nervous while on deck that when I finally got in the box to hit in the third game I wasn't that nervous. I was facing Livan Hernandez and after great scouting reports from teammates I got a breaking ball in a 2/2 count at 63 mph. I’m not gonna say I was looking for it, but a lot of the guys were telling me he likes to throw it with two strikes so i was ready for it and fortunate enough to line it into left field for a single. Amazing feeling

Mack:   I can only imagine.  You worked hard and long for it Josh and you deserved it. So few go as far as you already have and the world is still ahead of you. Looking ahead, I don't have to tell you everything starts with what Jose Reyes does so we'll just table the speculation until then. Do you have any plans for the off-season to improve the game? Are you on a Nitro program or is that just for the "minor leaguers"? :)

Satin:   I’m actually going to Venezuela on Monday for 5 weeks to get a few more at bats and to work hard defensively

Mack:  Great. Back with Tuff and Dylan.  Josh, from all of us that were there since the beginning... we're very proud of you and thanks for taking us through the most exciting day in your career...

Satin:  Thank you and thanks for your continual support.

No comments: