12/28/11

The Keepers: - #76 - RP - Brant Rustich

76.       Brant Rustich – RP – AA –

Rustich’s 2007 stats with UCLA:  20 appearances (1 start), 3-2, 6 saves, 6.67 ERA, 29.2 IP, 31 H, 20 BB, 28 Ks, 3HRs, .265 BA.  

The Mets drafted Rustich in the 2nd round of the 2007 draft. He started the 2007 season for Kingsport (1-0, 0.87 in 5 games, 2 starts), but was quickly promoted to Brooklyn (2-0, 2.13, 0.39 in 10 appearances).

Rustich pitched dinged for most of the 2008 season, for Savannah, but still managed to post stats of: 3-4, 3.62, in 20 games, 8 starts, 48Ks, 49.2 IP

In 2009, Rustich dug in to St. Lucie and produced an all-star season: 1-1, 2.45, 1.28, 19 appearances, 3 starts, 46-K, 47.2-IP.

Forecast: Rustich is injury free, has a lifetime professional record over 3 seasons of 7-5, 2.77, 1.09, and will play 2010 as a 26-year old. He is one of the premier Mets relievers in the system and may be ready for the fast track. Watch for 6-6 right hander to start the season with Binghamton, and if he dominates, could wind up in Queens by September.

10-19-10: - I talked to SP Brant Rustich today, who let me know that he is scheduled for TOS surgery on October 28th, in Dallas, Texas. As you know, Brant has had two years of bad road regarding hand and arm problems, which resulted in his diagnosis of Thoracic Outlet Syndrome, defined as a compression of nerves and artery in the thoracic outlet which is above the first rib and collarbone. Doctors feel he will be 100% recover by the beginning of the 2011 season, and, with a little luck coming my way, maybe they’ll rehab him back in Savannah.

To refresh, Rustich was a 2nd-round beast (6-6, 220) with three above-average pitches in his 93-96 mph fastball, power slider (at times touching 87 mph) and split-finger fastball. He wants you all to know that he’s thrilled that there will finally be an end to his pain and he looks forward to pitching next year at whatever level the Mets place him.

2-8-11: - There’s been a considerable amount of Mets chatter online recently about the improvement of P Brant Rustich since his recent surgery. Some, like Ed Ryan and Adam Rubin are both speculating that he could someday replace K-Rod as the Mets closer. I reached out to Rusty and asked if he’s got an official indication from anyone in camp that his 2011 role, be it in Binghamton or Buffalo, will be as a closer….  “I'm at the field so I'll have to get back to you this afternoon. I'm pretty sure my role will be in relief. If I'm healthy and pitching like I'm capable there is no doubt I can be a closer at any level. So I think I'll focus on being healthy and then pitching like I'm capable first. :) My role will follow suit. I'm definitely excited this year. I have a lot to look forward to and work towards. It’s already a good feeling being back here with more of a purpose than before. It’s good knowing I'm fixed rather than hoping for some miracle like the years before. I like the aura from the guys here and from TC (Terry Collins). I think if the players can't play for Terry, than you can't play for anyone. I truly think New York has a lot more to be excited about than worrying about money issues. Just my take. Take it easy.”

4-16-11: - Rustich is still rehabbing in Florida and said that things are going along well. I didn’t realize his rehab would be taking so long, but I truly believe this is going to be worth the wait. 
 
8-18-11: - Hey Mack, I'm currently back home in San Diego because I wasn't going to be ready to pitch this year and the nerves needed more time, so the Mets and I thought it was best to rest the remainder of the season with no throwing. Not much news other than that, other than it seems to be feeling great, however I'm not throwing so I guess time will tell. The plan is to begin up throwing in December, and then be 100% for spring training. Basically, I'm going to be pitching no matter what next spring. It's going to be my last go, so it's all or nothing, and nothing is really stopping me at that point. I was shut down this season not due to pain, but lack of feel. Which is something I'm used to, but it's not something that would stop me next season if that happens to be the case. Hopefully it feels as perfect as it did for a few weeks this season. At one point I never felt better, but when I rasised the volume, i lost some feel in my fingers, so i wasn't as consistent. However my stuff was all there.  Anyway, hope all is well with you. Take care, Brant

No comments: