12/26/11

Mack Ade - No More Chit Chat


No More Chit Chat
Mack Ade – 12-26-11 

A few of the writers here at Mack’s Met have scheduled posts throughout the week, though most just post randomly. My job is to fill in the blanks are keep the site flowing.

I post one of “The Keepers” each day, a “Draft 2012” edition, and currently, a “Breaking Down Mets Needs” post. I then add three cut and paste pieces, “Mets”, “Baseball”, and “Hot Stove” and there’s almost enough to keep the site hopping.

We’re committed to give you nine posts a day. I listed six in the last paragraph.

It’s the last three that become painful at this point in the off-season.

Writers like David Groveman, Charles Thompson, Michael Friere, and Frank Gray have been averaging at least one post per day. I’m sure that will increase once spring training starts.

I have tried to fill in with winter league stats, Q and A postings, and dribble like this. Frankly, I’ve just about run out of anything else to say at this point about this team. There’s nothing going on in the front office and it looks like this team will limp into extended camp sometime next month.

It’s time for me to stop trashing the ownership and return to my role of the minor league guy. That’s what I do best and there’s enough qualified writers here to fill you in on what’s going on in Queens.

The only thing all this ranting about Fred and Ethel has gotten me was having my name removed again from the press email that goes out daily.

I approach what I do here as a job. It’s the only way to get through this kind of volume. Beat writers never write more than one story a day. They’re too busy cracking stale one-liners on Twitter.

See? There I go again. Bitch, and make friends.

4 comments:

Mets Dreams said...

Your work is appreciated. It has to be difficult in the current environment to keep cranking out stories when there never seems to be any good news. We can all speculate about possible trades and waiver claims but without knowing the exact state of the Mets finances it is difficult to know what Sandy and Co. have to work with. I think D. Wright is going to be gone but for what? How about for Hanley Ramirez? I know he has attitude issues but the infield would then be set with Murphy playing 3B and Tejada playing 2B. Despite Thole's struggles, the Mets would have a cost controlled, dynamic infield. The offense would be pretty set and the main need would be a SP, at least a 2. Easy to say but difficult to acquire. Thoughts?

Mack Ade said...

MD:

Thanks for the compassion.

I hate speculating about trades that never happen; however, I'm guilty of just that in my "Mets Needs" series. That's how boring this off-season has been.

The one thin the Mets need to concentrate on is their defense, which cost them any chance for a run last season.

Playing Lucas Duda, Josh Thole, and Daniel Murphy every day isn't gong to imrove in this area.

Stephen Guilbert said...

Wright with a healthy back, Tejada at short, Havens (if he can make the team out of ST, and I hear he won't win any awards with his glove but he's okay) and a healthy Davis means an above average defensive infield. The outfield is going to be a mess. I'm hoping Puello and Nimmo make enormous strides and take over by 2014. I'd also like the team not to be in debt, the Mets to have some hope in 2012 and Reyes still be our SS. Oh well.

Mack Ade said...

SG:

Havens is a better 2Bman than a shortstop.

The Mets should have stuck to their original plan when they drafted him and turned him into a catcher.