1/20/12

The Keepers - #96 - RHP - Beck Wheeler


96.              Beck Wheeler:

Can’t say I ever heard of this guy before the Mets signed him as an undrafted free agent. 6-3, 215 RHP out of UC Santa Barbara. http://www.ksby.com/news/two-gauchos-sign-contracts-with-mlb-teams  said, in a 6-13-11 article: “Wheeler signed with the Mets as a pitcher, a role that he accepted this season after not having pitched in quite some time. However the righty appeared in four games, posted a 2.25 ERA and showed flashes of brilliance to go along with a fastball in the low 90s. Wheeler had also played third base and shortstop for the Gauchos and as a junior was one of the team's best hitters. "I had an opportunity to work out in front of one of their scouts and things went well," Wheeler said. "Pitching is still relatively new to me, but I think the Mets' organization felt that was a good thing because I can learn to pitch the way they would like me to. This is very exciting and I can't wait to get on the mound." Anyway, he pitched his second game today for the GCL Mets and he’s now 0.00 in 3.1-IP, woth 4-Ks. We’ll keep an eye on him.

8-4-11: - Stock Up – Beck Wheeler – Wheeler pitched in his tenth professional game today and still hasn’t given up a run. To date that makes 15.2 innings pitched with 18 strikeouts. Wheeler was a UDFA signee out of UC Santa Barbara

          9-12-11:  Interview:

          Mack:  We're talking today with a 2011 breath of fresh air named Beck Wheeler, who pitched out of the GCL Mets pen this past season.  Afternoon Beck. Are you back home now?

Beck:  I was home in San Diego for about 10 days but now I'm in Santa Barbara. I played college ball at UC Santa Barbara and now I'm back for the fall quarter to finish some classes and get my degree.

Mack: Beck. you weren't drafted and began your professional career asa NDFA. Tell us about those miserable three days you waited for your name to be called and how you hooked up with the Mets.

Beck:  Well,  I was always a position player, playing shortstop, 3b, and DH and the coaches at UCSB asked me to start pitching before my senior year so I threw in bullpens, but only threw 4 innings during the actual college season. After our season was over, our pitching coach asked a few of us to throw a bullpen session for the Mets' scout and I guess he liked what he saw. I didn't expect much from the draft, especially for pitching, but he called the next morning and asked me to sign as a free agent so we went from there. It was one of the best phone calls I've received.

Mack:  That's fantastic... now, let's get to an important question... your real name is Jeff Beck Wheeler.  What album was playing when your Mom and Pop started the birth cycle, Beck-Ola or Music From Free Creek?

Wheeler:  Ha ha.  I get a lot of comments on my name, surprisingly it had nothing to do with the artist. My dads name is Jeff and my grandmother's maiden name is Beck. My parents always wanted my name to be Beck, but Jeffrey Beck Wheeler sounded better than Beck Jeffrey Wheeler. I've been called Beck my entire life and I couldn't be happier with my name.

Mack:  Beck, before we get into this past season, tell us a little about what you throw, what your go-pitch is, velo, etc.

Beck:  Well,  I threw a fastball, split, and a curve ball. My fastball is usually around 90-92, and I used my splitter a lot with 2 strikes, or to get ground balls.

Mack:  Beck, it seems universal that most ballplayers aren't ready for the grind in their first professional season. Tell us what it was like for you this season?

Beck:  This season was definitely a grind that took some time getting used to. We were at the field everyday by 7am. Practice, conditioning, weight training along with playing games everyday could really wear you down.

Mack:  I'm sure you are pleased with your season. My guess is you'll pitch Brooklyn in the spring. What are your plans for the off-season? Working on any new pitches?

Beck:  This off season I'll be back at school and will be able to work out with my old team in the weight room and on the field. As far as other pitches go I'm going to pick the coaches' minds and see if I can develop a good 2 seam and maybe a slider this off season.

Mack:  Super. In closing, is there anything you want to say to your growing list of fans out there?

Beck:  Thanks for all the support, and I'm looking forward to next year!

No comments: