1/12/14

Mack’s Morning Report – 1-12 – Bobby Keppel, Content, Kenny Baugh, A-Rod



The Reds signed 31-year-old RHP Bobby Keppel to minor league deal. He spent the last four seasons with Nippon-Ham in Japan. He was in the Mets chain (first round pick in 2000) from 2000-2005 and got as far as AAA-Norfolk (2005: 2-1, 3.29). He then played in four more organizations (Kansas City, Colorado, Florida, Minnesota) before heading overseas. Last year, for Nippon, he went 0-1, 9.00 in two starts.


I noticed that a couple of the comments on Herb’s last post on Ike Davis asked that maybe the last word on Ike has been written and we should move on to another subject. Trust me, most of us here on Mack’s Mets would love to, but there is only so much to write about at this point in the off-season and still put up enough content to be entertaining.

The site (Mack’s Mets) just doesn’t get many comments and I believe the reason is the average age of our readers (45-64 according to both Word Press and Blogger). Most of you folks have more important things to do than to sit in your room in your mother’s house frozen to either your screen or the palm of your hand.

I would simply love more comments… and I especially would love more questions to answer. I used to get a ton of them and they stir the creative juices and get me a writin’.

In addition, I keep trying to recruit more writers and, strangely, the last five that contacted me, were let into the site and never heard from again. They not only never wrote a thing, but wouldn’t even return one of my emails. Weird.

So, another request…

1.     Please comment with what’s in your mind. All of us here love to hear from you
2.     Send any questions to: macksmets@gmail.com
3.     Contact me at macksmets@gmail.com if you would like to write for Mack’s Mets.



Former Rice standout prospect, P Kenny Baugh (2001 – 1st round, 11th overall – Detroit), joins the Houston Astros scouting staff, replacing Jason Lefkowitz. Baugh was a big time 4-yr starter for Rice and turned in stats of 1999: 12-2, 2.27, 2000: 12-2, 2.23, and 2001: 12-2, 1.82. Who has three identical 12-2 records in school? He signed for a $2mil+ bonus, which was his best pro day. Yep… the arm let out and, six years and three teams later, he ‘retired’ after playing AA and Indy ball. Why do I write about Baugh?  It’s simple. I just want to keep reminding you how quickly a ‘no miss’ pitching prospect can pull up lame. One of the great Rice pitchers


I guess I should say something about A-Rod.

Anyone involved in sports shouldn't be shocked by what's going on. We see things like this every day in every sport they play. Sometimes it's a basketball player untying someone else's shoe laces. Next time it's some jerk wad holding a press conference in North Korea.

Those of us that have had the privilege of standing next to these guys learn two things pretty quickly...  one, most of them are just regular people with special skills in one particular sport... and two... sports like every field has a selective small group of assholes that must be tolerated.

The curious thing about being involved in the news industry is the fact that sometimes the more juicy the information you have, the less it can be reported. 

There was a code of honor in the old days. For example, everyone chose to not expose George Steinbrenner's illness to the outside world.

I was told something a few years ago about one of the guys that was voted into the Hall of Fame this year. It was far more sick than I reported about earlier this month on Paul LoDuca. Then, another source told me the same story, but I decided right there that I wasn't going to be the first person to write about something this weird.

And, I'm not going to now. Sometimes, it's just safer to look the other way.

This whole PED scandal is just stupid. Every 'straight' player in the PED-era knows multiple players that violated the rules, but are they going to turn in some of them? There's some that are even in the Hall of Fame.

Stop shaking your head about A-Rod and everyone else in the past. 

Create a list of performance enhancing drugs that are banned in all sports.

Get all the unions, leagues, agents, etc. behind this with a zero tolerance policy:

First offense - no pass - one year suspension - loss of pay

Second offense - lifetime ban - box of steak knives

Folks... you hand down five to ten life time bans in baseball, football, archery, or whatever... and, trust me, no one's doing this shit anymore.
  .

13 comments:

Bill Metsiac said...

I agree with the zero tolerance plan, Mack. I've got mixed feelings on A-Rod, though.
While I want him GONE, I hate the thought of the Tanks being rewarded with s ton of fresh spending money by ridding themselves if the useless piece of craps he has become.

Too bad the money can't be "frozen" or donated to the BAT or other charity instead of their "Let's Get Tanaka" fund.

Bill Metsiac said...

I hate auto-correct. That's "Yanks", not "Tanks" and "crap", not "craps".

Ernest Dove said...

Amongst all the other questions about the Mets outfield, present and near future, I was wondering. .......what happens if Matt den dekker actually stays healthy, and produces? Didn't he once project as a solid starting centerfielder? We cant platoon everbody?

steve said...

Morning Mack:
Hope your feeling well this Sunday morning?
You want some questions,lets see if I can help?
Would you look at Flores body type,and the fact he's a good hitter. Would Ryne Sandberg be a decent comparison to him?
Being an optimist,do you believe some of the bad luck the Mets have had lately is about to change?
Do you think Sandy and the wonder twins,will sign any of our top pitchers to extensions? Like Niese was signed to?
Well I enjoy reading your comments,hope I was a little helpful?
Steve

greg b said...

I very much looking foward for this season with mets but im looking foward more for the kids in the minors because those guys we drafted a few yrs ago that were in low A are now going to st.lucie and some might see bingamton

steve said...

Greg I agree with you pal. That's why as a family we spend our money going to see minor league games,instead of Major league games.

Jeff C said...

Love the site Mack, first thing I read every morning. I'll pose a question to you that may be way off base, but would seem to be an idea that Joe Maddon in Tampa Bay would consider to get his best team on the field. If one of the goals is to get Wilmer Flores bat in the lineup, how about moving David Wright to first? Put Flores at 3B, leave Murphy at 2B, fill SS with either Drew or a trade. Keep Satin and Tejada as utility guys off the bench, maybe keep Duda for some LH pop. Just trying to think out of the box a little.

Mack Ade said...

Thank you all for your questions...

I will answer them all in tomorrow morning's report

Mack Ade said...

Jeff C -

I saved my thoughts on your question until Tuesday

That Adam Smith said...

Hi Mack,

Just want to say that the site rocks, it's one of my daily reads. More than once most days. Trying to contribute by commenting whenever I have time, and something that I think adds to the conversation.

Interesting thought by Jeff C, and might be something to consider, though the Mets are far too timid to do something that "you just don't do" in baseball (like using your closer in a high-leverage situation in the 7th.) And moving your best player around to get a 22 year-old into the lineup at his spot is something "you just don't do." Regardless, it seems, of whether your team would be better off overall.

I liked Serby's interview with d"Arnoud. He sounds like a good kid, with his head on straight, and I'm rooting for him.

Mack Ade said...

Thank you Adam.

Yeah, I'm answering Jeff's question later this week but it'[s my guess that David Wright isn't going anywhere in 2014.

They want him to have a healthy year and enjoy getting the pitchers Grandy won't get.

Herb G said...

Lots of really good questions raised here. I'll refrain from offering my two cents until Mack has responded to them in his posts this week. Looking forward to your insights, Mack.

Mack - As I recall, Allan Dykstra broke a bone in his foot in winter ball. Do you have any word on his status? Will he be ready to play by Spring Training? Also, do you think his defensive limitations will prevent him from ever getting the chance to play in the majors? As he has climbed the ladder, his hitting has improved, and he has always been a high OBP guy with pretty good pop.

Bill Metsiac -

I fully agree with you that it seems unfair that a team should reap some benefit from their player being suspended for PED use. It is especially easy to feel that way when the offending player is A-Rod. I am more on the fence when I think of situations like Detroit losing the services of Peralta, or Texas losing Cruz for 50 games last year. Should they be on the hook for the salaries of their lost players when they also lost the performance of those players?

Mack Ade said...

Herb - I'll get on the phones and check out Dykstra and report back on Tuesday morning