3/15/20

Mack – FWIW – Coronavirus, Eduardo Nunez, Michael Wacha, 2020 Mets, Shortstop Ranking


So, are we worried about the coronavirus and the start of the season? 

My guess is everything will be fine come June, but it’s a crap shoot before that right now.

Until then, half the world might be shut down.

As for the election, I can't figure out which candidate this benefits. 

Delay the whole process for a year.


It seems to me that, with the short-term injury to Michael Conforto, that well worn utility infielder Eduardo Nunez is getting closer to making the opening day roster. The assumption is Jeff McNeil will move to the outfield, creating an opening at third.

In addition, our new manager said this week that Nunez will be played ‘extensively’ for the remainder of the spring schedule at third and both corner outfield positions.
I think we have a keeper here.


           
Mets:             Who emerges in the back end of the Mets rotation as a huge success? Wacha/Porcello/matz? And who’s toast?
           
Ben Clemens: It’s so weird to see all the optimism around Wacha this spring.  He was an anchor last year. Like, the kind that drags you down, not the kind that stabilizes you. He has basically one good pitch at this point I think, the changeup. Now admittedly, it’s a really good pitch! But his curve and cutter are minus-minus (if that’s a thing), which puts a lot of pressure on a just okay fastball
I’m willing to believe in Matz and Porcello both. Both of them are way overqualified as a fifth starter and above average as a fourth starter. I’d take Porcello over Matz because I’m kind of in on his game in Citi. And I’ll say Wacha flames out, with some chance he becomes a decent reliever because he can get lefties and righties out, with short stints making his fastball play up.

            Mack:  Wow. Not a Wacha lover here…


Jay Jaffe was asked this question:

NihilistDuda: Every effin year, I have some sort of optimism about my Mets. Evry effin year (mostly) they roundly disappoint. Yet, somehow, this year seems different. Less bs with hiding injuries. Thoughts on whether Brodie has brought some legitimacy to this franchise and whether you have some optimism in store for 2020 (when you rightfully have blistered the club in previous years)? Spring training springs eternal….

Jay Jaffe: I think they have the pieces to contend for a playoff spot so long as deGrom and Syndergaard remain healthy (knock on wood), but their roster makeup concerns me, particularly the defense in the outfield — and this is the second year in a row where the oddball collection of parts has been an issue. That’s on BVW to remedy, and suffice it to say i’m not yet convinced he’s very good at that aspect. Still, it’s enough talent to keep the team interesting, and possibly to even win the division if most things go right.

            Mack – How many years in a row have I stated… ‘if’???


Fangraphs continued their ranking of players by position and this is what they have for shortstops:


7 comments:

Tom Brennan said...

Not knowing when games restart, June, July, later, it is hard to speculate about Conforto and Cespedes.

By June, Conforto almost definitely fine. Cespedes too.

Lowrie May still be shopping for a lighter brace.

Mack Ade said...

Readership on site is down 50% +

Hmm... I would have expected the reverse through this.

Rds 900. said...

One thing I hope is to keep politics out of our posts. Okay with me to bash the Wilpons and speculate about the season. I remain positive that our Mets will have a good season. Can't wait.

Jon Messinger said...

Rds 900: one thing I've always appreciated about this site is the lack of politics. we're here to read about our favorite team, and even to stray a bit and learn about the writers personal live, if they're so inclined, not to be preached to about politics. hope it always stays that way.

Mack Ade said...

I ban all political posts and comments

Tom Brennan said...

Amen

David Rubin said...

The only thing I will say in this space about politics is "leave it out, just as we don't want actors and singers to preach to us about things they barely understand, so too should Macks Mets - and ALL baseball-bloggers, stick to what brung ya to da dance!!!

So, Bernie, Biden, Trump and a Horse walk into a bar...they all said "ouch"-

(drops mike) I'm OUT!