3/20/20

Reese Kaplan -- Improving Your Baseball Skills Alone



One of the issues facing the media during the coronavirus debacle is how players and fans will handle themselves without the familiar rituals of practice, rooting and beer-filled castigation of the team not playing 100% perfectly.  With no team to praise or punish, what will we do with those vacant intervals of time?

I got to thinking about the days of learning the game of baseball as a youngster and remembered a great many ways I attempted to better my skills when I wasn’t able to play games.  I’m also curious what others did to help themselves improve their game effectiveness when they weren’t in the starting lineup.


First, there was the issue of throwing.  Much like you see many tennis players practicing against a handball wall for guaranteed returns and a variety of velocities to encounter, those of us playing the field also had to work on the best way to get our thrown balls to the intended targets.  Many years into the exercise came metal-framed gizmos with netting and markings to indicate throw accuracy, but before that I can recall drawing a circle or a square on a brick wall and gradually increasing my distance from the wall, always aiming to get my throws within the boundaries of that dimension.  In my mind I was much better at this skill than my arm would demonstrate.


One of the earlier baseball technologies somewhat readily available were the pitching machines capable of throwing a baseball (or softball) straight as an arrow at varying speeds.  I do know that most of us started out on the slowest machine and gradually worked our way up to the fastest ones, though occasionally the town’s All Stars would jump right to the fastest machine as their first challenge of the day.  I had a good friend who later played in the White Sox organization who would do that and I asked how he never progressed further when he was so competent with the bat.  He smiled and said, “Have you ever seen the machine throw a curveball?”  Good point!

One good thing that came out of pitching machines was the ability to practice switch hitting, bunting and other aspects of the offensive side of the game that usually were neglected by Little League coaches.  With the relatively consistent placement of the pitches at the same velocity, it was easier to practice this way than it was diving out of the way of errant balls more likely headed for your posterior than the strike zone. 


Another young child exercise was to throw the ball straight up into the air as high as possible and then position himself underneath to make the catch.  Oddly, I found this exercise quite a bit more challenging than actual batted balls which had both height and depth to calculate when planning where to stand to make the catch.  This more-or-less straight up into the air throw was a lot more difficult as wind currents and unintended spin on the throw often made the landing spot not exactly where it had been planned (had any thought gone into the exercise at all). 

The one thing I don’t recall practicing much at all was beating the throw from the defensive player.  In these off-the-field exercises it was hard to simulate the amount of time available to make that safe call at the bag when you don’t know how hard the ball was hit, how cleanly it was fielded nor how accurately and quickly it was thrown across the diamond.  Of course, the real reason is that running is like real exercise and I was playing baseball for fun, not for its quotient of suffering. 


I toyed a bit with pitching but never really got into it in a big way.  I had two choices – speed or accuracy.  If you wanted me to throw the ball past you, yes, it was possible for me to do that, but it was impossible to predict how close to the strike zone it would get.  Conversely, I could put some interesting spins on pitches and have them sneak around the perimeter of the zone, but there’s no guarantee a good hitter wouldn’t be able to adjust to the motion of the pitch and make it take a trip long past the outfield fence. 

So how did you try to prepare for your upcoming games?

7 comments:

Mack Ade said...

I grew up on 95th Avenue in Ozone Park, Queens.

It was tree lined on both sides and the upper branches actually hit each other at some point.

I would stand in the middle of the avenue where the leaves touched each other and throw a ball up higher than the leaf level, thus, making the decent of the ball impossible to see when it would first start to come down.

The challenge was to 'pick it up' when it first became visible and then move accordingly to catch it on the fly.

Tom Brennan said...

I wish I had access to a batting range when I was a kid. It might well have upped my game a lot.

They had a great batting range right off the Whitestone Expressway, just a few miles from Queens. Lots of machines, and a huge hitting area, so if you really clocked one, you could see how far it traveled. Most cages, you clock one and it hits a back net not too far away.

When I was able to drive at age 17, I started going there, and struggled for a day or so but quickly was able to hit very well vs. the very fast machines. Sadly, they soon turned that space into an office building.

Before that, I used to play stickball at Braddock Park in Bellerose, Queens against two Johns, my 1 year older brother (fellow lefty) and a guy around the block two years older.

We played against a handball wall with a strike zone box. I was much better than them, so I had to give them 5 outs per inning to my two outs, to keep them interested.

The challenge there was to try to clear the asphalt softball field behind the handball courts and the outfield fence to hit homers. There were lots of trees to knock down balls. And, if you played with Pensy Pinkies like that, you know that a lot of well hit balls got an overspin that forced the ball down like a Sutter forkball.

Nonetheless, I hit many shots into the trees and a few actually got through the trees and into the street beyond. Hitting that little ball with a skinny stickball bat was in retrospect an amazing thing.

Good times.

Mack Ade said...

I played third base on cement for soft pitch games.

Try that.

Reese Kaplan said...

In basketball with one other person you could play HORSE as a means of testing shooting skills. I don't recall any practice-specific games like that for baseball, though.

Unknown said...

Reese,

Not sure how common this was but often I would play with a buddy something we called "hit the bat." The batter would fungo fly balls to the lone fielder. If you caught the fly you would throw home while the batter laid the bat down perpendicular to the throw-line. If the ball hit the batt & the batter did not catch the rebound (one handed, no glove), the fielder got to bat. Otherwise the batter continued to fungo.

Sometimes a 3rd player and there would be an IF and an OF in the field.

Hours & hours. Probably 5th thru 7-8th grades.
."

Unknown said...

I remember my Johnny Bench Batter-up. Was a ball on a fiberglass stick, and used rubber bands to spring the ball back to you when you hit it.

Bob W.

Unknown said...

How did I (Hobie) suddenly become "unknown?"