9/2/20

Tom Brennan - HEFTY JURADO



I have to confess that as a myopic Mets fan, I had never seen Ariel Jurado pitch.


Frankly, before this year, I'd never heard of him.  Myopia Man, that's me.


So, I get home, and it's pre-game, and I see this guy with goggles in the pen loosening up - and I think, "uh oh, this guy is our starter tonight?"


I see a young guy with a pot belly and I think, "you're a young athlete, dude, what's with the pouch?"


I think immediately, "I wonder if there is a correlation between carrying excess weight and a lack of intensity towards his pitching craft?"


Then I watch the first inning - missing the plate, getting rocked - and I think, hmm, may be something to that theory.  Remarkably, he walked no one - but those 9 hits in 4 innings ain't too spiffy.  Bringing his career totals to 223 hits in 181 innings.  

Is it just me, or are the Mets starting to collect "a HR allowed every six innings, career" sorts of "pitchers"?


If I had to guess, he looks like a guy with a 5.97 ERA - wow, I guessed right.

He ain't "Bartolo Colon Hefty," that much is clear.


Would have liked seeing Kevin Smith take that start instead.




Then, Franklyn Kilome comes in, and he seems like the type of pitcher who is almost very good, but his Italian chef tendencies are too strong - he just serves up too many meatballs.


His ability to stop serving up meatballs will determine if he has a long, successful career, or a short unsuccessful one.


Meanwhile, looks like the McNeil swoon is over, but Pete Alonso's miserable summer continues.  The big guy is coming up mighty small in 2020.  Maybe when Todd comes back, he can DH for a week, and Luis Guillorme (hitting 200 points higher than Pete) can be in the line up instead.  

Just a thought.  You may say to me, "you can't be serious."  I will say to you, "yes, I am serious."


This team finds losing games all too easy, if you ask me.

6 comments:

TexasGusCC said...

Tom, all of MLB knows that the Front Office is a collection of win now knee jerk movers, so they play them. This allows the Rangers to to pawn off their garbage as “useful” players, the Orioles sold their “useful” players, and the Red Sox tried. I don’t know who the players to be named later are in these trades, but certainly the Mets weren’t giving upon hitters and it appears they are ready to sign the pitchers and draft the hitters, as the Cubs did.

Tom Brennan said...

Texas Gus, it is painful to watch. I watched this sort of crap when the Russian guy bought the Nets and destroyed the franchise for year with that win now philosophy, and of course, he didn’t win then either. All for nothing.

Reese Kaplan said...

On the plus side, the worse the Mets fare, the better their drafting position will be.

Tom Brennan said...

I love it when it is really drafty

Unknown said...

Jurado looked like a fatter, less-talented K-Rod with those goggles.

Bob W

Rds 900. said...

Great moves. Lockett for Jurado
Gimenez for Frazier
Nido for Chirinos.
What next deGrom fir Milone?