11/9/20

Tom Brennan - SEEKING ONE FAN'S PERSPECTIVE ON METS' NEXT STEPS IN A BRAVE, NEW COHEN WORLD

What does the man on the street have to say?

We Macks Mets writers do banter about lots of thoughts of possible moves the Mets could make in 2020's off season.

Outside opinions are sometimes important to gather and share, too.

So I asked my brother Steve a fierce Wilpon era critic, what his off-hand thoughts were.

He did not come back to me with a full 40 man roster.  But I thought I would share his off the cuff thoughts nonetheless.  

Feel free to comment on his thoughts.  Maybe I will solicit some more fanatical Mets' fans thoughts in similar future articles.  Anyway, here goes:

ACQUIRE LINDOR

 

BULLPEN (MULTIPLE ARMS – STOP THE WILPON PATTERN OF CHEAPNESS AND STUPIDITY)

 

BENCH PLAYERS (MAKE IT 1996 YANKEE-LIKE).


(To elaborate on the latter for Steve, the 92-70 Yankees in 1996 did not rely on Collin Cowgill, Keon Broxton or other washed up retreads.  That year, after their 9 starting hitters, their bench included Strawberry, Raines, Fielder and Leyritz.  That bench foursome had 868 at bats, and hit .267 with 41 doubles, 40 HRs and an incredible 146 RBIs.  For too many years, the Mets' bench has produced nothing remotely close to that.  Where would the Yankees have finished without that killer bench?  Well, it was enough to get them to 92 wins and first place, and a subsequent world series win that year   No doubt they miss first place that year without that foursome.)

 

BULLPEN (drastic improvement needed; Wilpons always stopped far short of a killer pen)

 

TRADE FOR THE CENTER FIELDER FROM OAKLAND ( RAMON LAUREANO) – THE RIGHTY HITTER IS GOOD, YOUNG, AND STRONG DEFENSIVELY 

 

REAL BACK OF THE ROTATION PITCHING ( NO MORE SEWALD, BASHLOR, MARCUM, JAMES BALDWIN TALENTLESS PITCHER TYPES – ETC. ETC. ETC. )

 

OUTBID THE YANKEES AND DODGERS FOR REALMUTO AND BAUER


 

BE THE BIGGEST DOG IN 

THE YARD – FOR A CHANGE !!!

 


4 comments:

Tom Brennan said...

Steve can be a little blunt, but as a fan who saw the barren 1990s, and a mere 3 playoff appearances in 18 seasons, he is frustrated at Wilpon half stepping, and wants Cohen to fully flex those checkbook muscles and make us one of the very best MLB teams - in 2021.

Reese Kaplan said...

In other words, he wants the Mets to buy pennants the way the Yankees and Dodgers do.

Personally, I'd prefer they follow the Tampa Bay Rays model with deeper pockets -- develop internally for the long term but supplement with some star (expensive) players.

Tom Brennan said...

Reese, he definitely does want to follow the Yankee Dodger modality.

Me? I want whatever it takes to add quality to make this team, which already has a core of really talented players, a 100 win team for seasons to come, including 2021. To me, that means to do it by any means necessary.

Everyone loves emerging minors players. If some have to be traded to reach a goal of 100 wins a year each of the next 5 years, I'm OK with it.

If I were Cohen, that would be my mandate to Sandy...how can I win 100 games a year each of the next 5 years? Give me that 5 year plan, Sandy. I don't want a one year wonder - I want multi-year dominance. Make that happen.

Gary Seagren said...

Great idea but I'd take 90+ wins a year but with a SOLID LONG TERM PLAN in place. With all that's gone on in the last few weeks I'm giddy with excitement but expecting Rod Serling to pop up any min. and say "you've just entered the "Twilight Zone". I think we're so NOT used to thinking in Yankee and Dodger terms but why can't we build from within AND add free agents hey I have no problem spending Steve's money and how awesome is it that both he and his wife and family are so involved. LGM