9/17/10

METS Q&A: - RP - Hunter Carnevale

Mack:  -  Morning everybody. Today, we're talking to Hunter Carnevale, the 33rd round pick this year, out of Pacific. Hey Hunter, how's things today? .


Carnevale:  -  Hey, Mack. I'm doing great just enjoying some time off in California with my family


Mack : - Hunter, the first question is basically the same one I ask all of you who have had the honor of being drafted into professional baseball. Tell us what that day was like?


Carnevale: -  Well it was the third day of the draft so I woke up at nine when the draft began and went on http://www.mlb.com/ to watch the draft live. It was exciting to get the call from Doug Thurman telling me the the Mets were going to take me with their next pick. Once I heard my name I felt a huge weight lifted off my shoulders. The rest of the day was great, getting calls from friends and family congratulating me.


Mack: - Hunter, you pitched in five games for Brooklyn this year, but did the lion share of your highlights for K-Port (3-1, 3.86, 27-K, 23.1-IP, only 7-BB). Not too shabby coming right out of school. How was the change to a day-to-day grind?


Carnevale: -  It was definitely an adjustment. From the way you prepare, to how your body feels it is different from the college season. But at Pacific, Coach Ed Sprague told us about the day in day out grind that professional ball is, and I think I was as prepared as I could have been going into the professional season. I think the things we did at Pacific definitely helped me cope with the physical and mental grind of the baseball season.  


Mack: -  You also had your first taste of southern heat index, which you probably will get a lot more of next season, either in Savannah or Port St. Lucie. Was there an adjustment for that also? .


Carnevale : - Ha ha,  yeah,  I didn't know I could sweat that much! The humidity took a little while to get used to but then I realized it didn't take as long to get loose to go into the game. I'll definitely be prepared for the heat next year!


Mack: -  Hunter, congrats on a great season. I have a lot of kids that read this site and they always ask me what they can do to become a better ball player. Any advice from you?

 Carnevale: -  Thank you mack... Yeah, I think the most important thing is to focus on continually getting better on a daily basis. Focus on the process and not the outcome because there are so many things in this game you can't control. Enjoy the competition, play the game hard, and most of all have fun doing it!

Mack: - And, thank you, for both your time and your great play. We'll see you on the back fields in March.

Old Hunter stuff...


4-20 from: - http://thecollegebaseballblog.com/2010/04/20/big-west-players-of-the-week-6 - Pacific senior LH Hunter Carnevale is the Big West Baseball Pitcher of the Week. Hunter Carnevale (Roseville, Calif./Granite Bay HS) picked up a pair of wins in 11 scoreless relief innings to pace the Pacific pitching staff and earn Big West Baseball Pitcher of the Week accolades. Carnevale made two extended appearances out of the bullpen to earn the wins.  In Tuesday’s 5-2 non-conference victory against northern California rival Sacramento State, Carnevale allowed just three hits in 5.1 innings of work.  He walked one and struck out five after entering the game in a 2-2 tie. He earned the win in Saturday’s 7-4 game against the Anteaters, throwing 5.2 innings of six-hit ball.  He entered with the Tigers trailing by one and kept the Anteaters scoreless, helping Pacific snap a five-game losing streak against UCI.  Carnevale dropped his ERA to a team-best 3.11, including a stellar 1.74 mark in conference games.
9-15-10 - 2011 Forecast: - Carnevale pitched in 17 games in 2010, five for Brooklyn (0-0, 18.00) and 12 for Kingsport (3-1, 3.86). He also had 35-Ks in 28.1-IP which is one of the reasons I have himgoing stright to Savannah next season.

No comments: