1/15/11

Q&A - RHP - Nick Burdi

Mack:  Morning folks. We're talking this morning to a flametrower out of Downers Grove High School, in Downers, Illinois, RHP Nick Burdi. Hey Nick, how's the weather there today? .


Burdi:  Hey Mack. Still pretty chilly up here in Illinois. Just getting ready for the spring and hoping for some good weather.


Mack:  Nick, first thing first... we've got reports that you sit everywhere from 91-95. Clear this up for us, would you, and where is the ole heater sitting and touching these days? .


Burdi:  My fastball is anywhere from 92-96. Can top out at 97 mph. I'm really trying to work on my command so that when the spring rolls around I'll be much more effecient with spotting my pitches on both sides of the plate.

Mack:  So far....  Nick, at what age did you first go on the gun and what were the readings back then? .


Burdi:  I really didn't start pitching till my sophmore year and I was put into the situation of going in to close games. I began to really enjoy the aspect of pitching and decided to give up the field so that I could strictly focus on pitching. Back then I don't think anyone really thought I would be in the situation that I am in today, including myself. I just kept working hard and staying on track so that I would be able to achieve my goals.


Mack:  What's your take on long tossing? Have you found it to be a help to your development?


Burdi:  I really do believe that long toss is a great way to improve arm strength and endurance. I try to long toss two times a week and so far it has really seemed to pay off for me. So I would strongly advise kids to long toss. Mack:  Nick, what's your arsenal other than the fastball? .


Burdi:  Right now I have a change up and slider that I compliment my fastball with. I am really working hard on these pitches so that I can command them on both sides of the plate and throw them for strikes.


Mack:  tell us about your experience pitching (and winning the MVP) for the National team... .


Burdi:  Yes, winning the MVP at the UA All-American game was a huge honor especially being there with some of the top players in the entire country. I didn't expect to win it but being able to go out there in my home town and win that award was very special to my family and I. I'm very thankful for the opportunity that was given to me. It was a once in a life time experience that I'll never forget .


Mack:  Nick, one last question...  Is there anything you want to share with the readers out there as you continue down the baseball path? .


Burdi:  Just keeping working hard and don't go off track. You will only get to have one baseball career so make the best of it. You will need to make many sacarificies to reach your goals, but if you love the sport your willing to do anything. Thank you for including me.

Mack:  You are very welcome, Nick.

Some stuff on Nick:

6-27 from: - http://perfectgame.atinfopop.com/4/OpenTopic?q=Y&a=tpc&s=114295945&f=6174069131&m=3221081702&p=2  - Day two at TOS  - RHP, Nick Burdi, 6'3 185, one of the best arms I saw on the day and in the tourney thus far, topped a few at 93, live fb, runs in well on rhh with sink, also hard slider with some downward tilt that had the bite to be effective when he was on top of the release point. Gamer too, kept runners on bases at bay. From Illinois, not in same league at this point to Folty, but he has to be seen in 2011.




8-12-10 from: - http://www.baseballamerica.com/today/high-school/events/under-armour-preseason-all-america-tournament/2010/2610524.html  - RHP - Downers Grove (Ill.) South HS Burdi is a righthander with an extremely quick arm. He pitches comfortably in the low 90s and has touched 95 mph. The ball gets in on hitters quickly and he throws from a nasty, low three-quarters arm slot that leads to plus movement. Burdi's slider has good tilt with some depth. He has committed to Louisville.


8-16-10 from: - http://www.mlbbonusbaby.com/2010/8/16/1625615/2010-under-armour-all-american#storyjump  - Nick Burdi, RHP, Downers Grove HS (Ill.) - Committed to Louisville, the MVP for the National Team was outstanding – striking out the side in the first on 13 pitches. Burdi comes at hitters from a low three-quarters arm slot and his fastball sat at 92-94 with natural sink and tail and good command of all quadrants. He also features a hard 83-85 mph slider that has good short two-plane break and a 79-82 mph change-up to keep hitters off-balance. Burdi understands how to pitch and executed his pitches brilliantly on Saturday. His mechanics aren’t the prettiest; however, as there’s a bit of habitual rushing going on that could suggest command issues, but there certainly was no problem in this game. At six-foot-four, 210 pounds, Burdi projects well and should be consistently sitting in the mid-90’s once he adds muscle to his frame.


8-16-10: - http://www.prospectwire.com/pw/article.php?id=130  - Nick Burdi, RHP, Downers Grove South HS (IL)- Burdi had a very impressive first inning for the National Team. He sat comfortably at 92-94, and featured a plus slider. He has no fear on the mound, and attacks hitters. His fastball has some life and movement on it, and his slider is sharp, coming in at 79-81. Burdi struck out the side.


10-27-10 from: - http://www.baseballamerica.com/blog/draft/?p=3012  - the talk of the tournament was righthander Nick Burdi from South High in Downers Grove, Ill. Burdi's fastball was electric at 93-95 mph and even got as high as 97. Throwing from his low three-quarter arm angle, he also generated substantial late run on the pitch. A blood blister on his right index finger prevented him from snapping off any breaking balls, but the fastball alone was enough to take care of business.


10-29-10 from: - http://www.perfectgame.org/Articles/View.aspx?article=5086  - RHP Nick Burdi (Rangers Midwest Scout Team): Burdi certainly got everyone’s attention, throwing up to 97 mph (with a slider up to 91 as well) from what can be called an unconventional delivery and release point with maximum effort. But despite the overpowering stuff, Burdi allowed seven hits in three innings along with a couple of walks. It was a performance not dissimilar to Stetson Allie before Allie saw the light and became a “pitcher” his senior year. Can Burdi make that same adjustment?


10-31-10 from: - http://www.diamondscapescouting.com/2010.10.01_arch.html  - owRighthander Nick Burdi (Downers Grove HS, Downers, Ill.) tied Jose Fernandez for the top velocity at the event, registering a 97 mph fastball of his own before dialing back to 92-95. In three innings pitched, he allowed seven hits and two earned runs while striking out eight. Although the arm strength is undeniable, he may be better suited for the bullpen due to spotty control and the moderate effort with which he throws.


Forecast:  Look, if you can hit 97 and you're a junior in high school, yu will be drafted in the first 100 picks of the draft. This is a talented draft in the first few rounds, and I've got Nick as a suuppliment first rounder.

No comments: