10/12/11

Don't Find The Best 25, Find The RIGHT 25

Apparently a ninja attacked me with a throwing star and I chose to defend myself by swallowing it. So I'm gritting through immense throat discomfort as I'm writing about the first thing I thought of that I could tie into the Mets.

"Miracle" was on this morning. First, it's a great sports movie (Good Sports Movie = You Care About the Team ... GREAT Sports Movie = After It's Over You Want To Go Out And Play That Sport). I could only stay through the beginning but something Herb Brook's (Kurt Russell) said stuck with me.
"I'm not looking for the best players, Craig. I'm looking for the right ones."

THAT made me think of the Mets...

Question: Is Lucas Duda a Top 20 RF?

Answer: No.

Question: Is he a premier choice to hit third for a team?

Answer: No.

Question: Might he be the best fit for the Mets right now?

Answer: Yes.

My Point:

Maybe instead of trying to build a team of great players who should succeed based on their raw skill (Like the Yankees), the Mets should build a team based on dynamics. Where one player's skills makes up for his compatriots deficiency. It's just a thought but... maybe Josh Satin, Ruben Tejada, Lucas Duda, Daniel Murphy and Nick Evans are the players we should be focusing on this offseason. Maybe THEY are simply the RIGHT players to make the Mets winners again.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

My thoughts exactly. We have an amazing crop of prospects steadily and properly progressing through the minors so i dont see the point in going out and getting big time free agents. Let Reyes, Pelfrey, and Pagan walk take the picks from Reyes (maybe Pagan?? Type B possibility) and continue drafting excellent talent.

Sign McLouth and let him battle Neiuwenheis for CF starter with Pridie as the back-up. Let Schwinden battle Capuano for the #5 rotation spot. If Caps loses we got ourself a second lefty.

SP Santana $24M
SP Dickey $4.75M
SP Niese min ($0.45?)
SP Gee min
SP Capuano $3.0M (re-sign for)
CL (Someone) $5.0M
SU Acosta min
RP Beato min
RP Parnell $0.75
RP Herrera min
RP Brydak $1.2
RP Carrasco $1.2

C Thole min
1B Davis min
2B Murphy min
SS Tejeda min
3B Wright $15.25M
LF Bay $18.13M
CF Nieuwenheis min
RF Duda min
C Nickeas min
IF Turner min
IF Satin min
OF Pridie min
UT Evans min

Total salary $80.84M + money owed to Bonilla and K-Rod = ~$85M Alderson would be a happy man