11/10/11

Mack’s 25-man: RP Pedro Beato


I do have to say I’m a little bias on Beato. He’s an Ozone Park boy like me and we Liberty Avenue wanderers have to stick together.

This was another of Sandy Alderson’s good pickup last year. Most of us Mets bloggers back in theday were pissed when the Mets didn’t sign him after picking him in the 17th round of the 2005 draft. He eventually found his way home in last year’s Rule 5 Draft, and made the parent team on opening day.

There was some shoulder problems but it was decent first year for Pedro: 60-G, 2-1, 4.30, 1.28.

His problems were control and lack of strikeouts: 67-IP, 39-K, 27-BB.

Beato sits in the mid-90s and one assumes more pounding of the zone will turn this around, but one must temper this with the fact that’s always been wild throughout his minor league career.

I don’t think he’s closer material, and being an eighth inning guy might be more he can handle right now. For me, I’d use him as my ROOGY and leave it at that for the first half of the season.  Remember, in his first 18.2 innings last year, Beato allowed 0 earned runs, setting the Mets franchise record for longest scoreless inning streak to start a career.

This is not the time to give up on my home boy.

No comments: