11/1/11

Q and A: Mack with… Charles Thompson… on Wright-For-Pomeranz

Charles Thompson asked: 

Hello Mack.  I read a ton of material on your sight alone regarding a trade if David Wright to the Rockies.  This always leaves me shaking my head in disbelief.  Not because I'd never want to see David traded, but because I think that the Mets would be selling low at this point.  My belief is that if Wright hadn't actually broken his back this year, his numbers probably would've resembled his stats from 2010.  Unfortunately, he did break his back.  Also, his stats have suffered more than anyone from the cavernous dimensions at Citifield, and I believe when healthy in 2012 with the newly adjusted dimensions, he'll easily revert back to the player he was from 2005-2008.  Come next July after he's hopefully proven he's back to his old form, and depending on where the Mets are in the standings, that’s when I think he'll be worth the most for the Mets in a trade.  I just can't believe the Rockies would trade a player like Drew Pomeranz, who is more highly touted then Matt Harvey, plus additional prospects, for David Wright.  Especially after his numbers have plummeted since Citifield's inception.   Am I wrong?  If so, why?  Or is this all just people playing the GM game, in which case we should just add Prince Fielder signing with the Mets into the offseason plans, because I think that is more likely to happen then the Rockies trading some of their best prospects for a player that certainly will not put them over the top?

Mack:

Hey Charlie.

First of all, I want to make it clear that Mack’s Mets didn’t start the rumor that Wright and the Rockies might be an item. That was online and we commented about it.

I understand your doubts that Colorado might trade Pomeranz. Many of us thought San Francisco would never trade their top pitching prospect, Zack Wheeler, either.

They just got Pomeranz; however, they are on record that they are looking for high impact players at both second and third base. My Colorado sources tell me that they will not pursue Aramis Ramirez, leaving Wright a possibility. I didn’t say probability. His only draw in Colorado is his 2012 salary, not what he’d demand in 2013.

Charlie, this is just a business. Sandy Alderson has no long-term attachment to David Wright and he’s building a team around a new rotation. Pomeranz would guarantee one of baseball’s most exciting, young, rotations in 2014. If you build a team with four potential all-star starters… well, all of a sudden very few Mets execs are going to care who can play third and hit 53 home runs over three seasons.

We all should probably get off this Wright-for-Pomeranz discussion.

1 comment:

Charles said...

Thanks for the reply. Like I have said, I dont care if Wright gets sent packing. Like the Beltran trade, just need to get fair value in return (although, I think Sandy picked Sabean's pocket on that one)