1/16/12

Mets: Adam Kolarek, Jon Niese, Jason Bay, Gary Carter


1-11-12 -  MMO  48.  Adam Kolarek (LHP) Kolarek was drafted out of the University of Maryland in the 11th round of the 2010 draft. A 6’3″ lefty Kolarek put together a fabulous year coming out of the pen for the Sand Gnats. In 52.2 IP, he went 7-0 with a 2.22 ERA, and 5 saves, with an opponents batting average of .214, and a WHIP of 1.14. Kolarek throws a 90-94 mph four-seamer, a change-up, slider, and is working on a sinker, which he details in a recent interview with MMO: “I mainly throw a 4-seam fastball but I am really working on my 2-seam this offseason because I really believe that it will help me moving forward. I would say my change-up is my second best pitch because I feel comfortable throwing it in just about any count or any situation. When I throw a real good one it will have some tailing movement into a lefty or away from a righty. Finally, I feel like I made a lot of progress with my slider last year and I want to continue to build off of that. I would mainly use it when I was ahead in the count and was trying to get a strike out or ground ball, but I really want to get to the point this year where I can use my slider when I’m behind in the count in a typical fastball situation.” With lefties like Kolarek, Josh Edgin, Jack Leathersich, Robert Carson, and Ham Bennett in the pipe-line, there is some lefty relief help on the horizon with Carson most likely being the first to arrive, his ETA 2012. Adam Kolarek video

Jon Niese has had both physical and mental breakdowns in each of the last two years which have unquestionably hindered his development, and hurt the team in the process. While he’s still relatively young, I’ve found that pattern very concerning; injuries aside, he’s been two totally different pitchers before and after the All-Star break in his career. He has said this winter his focus is on getting through an entire 162 game season and prove he has the stamina to give the team more length, but he’s now 25, and like I said yesterday, the time is now for him. In fact, Niese is the one I expect more out of in terms of growth, maturity, and proving his problems are behind him simply because he’s the youngest of the team’s starters and has shown at times he “can” be a top-of-the-rotation starter http://www.metsblog.com/2012/01/15/jon-niese-his-physical-mental-breakdowns-2012/

Generally speaking, if a Major League hitter is in his 30s and not using performance-enhancing drugs, his skills are unlikely to drastically improve after they’ve drastically declined. Since Jason Bay turned 33 last September and PED use is prohibited in Bud Selig’s baseball company, it’s hard for me to expect Jason Bay to return to the form that earned him a 4-year, $66M contract. At the same time, it’s hard for me to accept the idea that Bay is a sub-.250 hitter who will be lucky to hit 15 homers over a full season of play. But, that’s my emotions thinking; from his days in Pittsburgh, I’ve loved Bay’s approach to the game and always enjoyed watching him play. I’ve had similar, irrational feelings for other Mets in the twilight of their careers, such as the aforementioned Ventura and Green, Mo Vaughn, Jeromy Burnitz, and Willie Montanez — as much as my eyes were telling me those players were finished, my heart was hoping my eyes weren’t seeing clearly. http://www.metstoday.com/7377/11-12-offseason/2011-analysis-jason-bay/

The Kid rallied again Sunday night. Just as he has done at the 25 previous events he has hosted, Hall of Fame catcher Gary Carter welcomed more than 150 friends with hugs and smiles at a kick-off dinner for his 26th annual charity golf tournament. He made them laugh, too - with an assist from his wife, Sandy. Carter was seven minutes into his welcoming remarks at the Ironhorse Country Club when Sandy nudged him and whispered, "Let's eat!" "That's my wife and she knows that I talk too much, so that's it for me,' Carter said as the crowd broke into laughter. http://www.palmbeachpost.com/sports/2104334.html

No comments: