1/17/12

Q and A... 2012 Draft and Mets Optimism


Gary Seagren  -
Hi Mack.
Was just wondering why there were only 3 picks noted in your last draft update for the Mets in June) and I thought we had 4 in the top 100?
Also, we have to get comfortable with the "new" Mets and hope for the best. I for one am optimistic....with the fences moved in and a middle of the order with Wright, Davis, Duda and Bay (fingers crossed) we should score some runs and hopefully the pitching can hold its own and hang around the .500 mark.
Mack
The Mets will draft:
12th – regular 1st round pick
35th – compensation pick for Jose Reyes to Marlins
66th – Marlins 2nd round pick
69th – regular 2nd round pick (I think)
I don’t share your optimism, but I respect it as a fan. I would rather make the complete conversion to a rebuilding plan and deal off (Carrasco, Wright, Dickey) any commodities I have left that could bring back hgh-end prospects that have already excelled at either the AAA or AA level.
But that’s just me and I have to write how I feel, right?

3 comments:

Christopher Soto said...

On the contrary Mack I'd have to disagree with you about the idea of dealing R.A. if we go into FULL rebuild mode.

Knuckleballers are long known for their ability to A) pitch long into games and B) Have long careers with the ability to be effective into their respective 40's.

The most current of knuckleballers we can look at is Tim Wakefield, who at the tender age of 45 with begin his 20th year in the league. Past historic knuckleballers such as Phil and Joe Niekro both has 21+ yr careers with Phil pitching till he was 48.

Hoyt Wilhelm (who would probably be the best example in terms of major league entry) didnt make his major league debut till he was 30 years of age and still had a 20 year career ending it at the young age of 50!!!

Now I'm not saying that R.A. is going to be one of historic knuckleballers but if history serves us right, then Dickey should be JUST entering the "Prime" of his knuckleballing career. With this in mind why not keep him on till 2014 when Generation K 2.0 comes up? I dont think there is a single fan in New York who would question that Dickey plays the game the right way and can be a HUGE mentor to the young guys that are on their way up. Plus I have a feeling that he could continue to remain cheap-ish if the Mets jump onto his charity event bandwagon.

Christopher Soto said...

Hmmm....I'm feeling a lengthy article on this topic may be in the works :D

Charles said...

Until Wright is dealt, there is no reason to move him. If wright gets traded during the season, I expect, many.will follow him.