3/22/12

I May Be Wrong, But… Pelfrey, More Pelph, OF Ratings, Forbes Magazine

• Now that Jon Niese and Dillon Gee have shown they are ready to start the season, today’s outing by Johan Santana seems to weigh very heavy on exactly what Mike Pelfrey’s role is going to be come April. I don’t think he’s ready to be dumped out of the rotation yet, but I would like to see a spot start in the next week by Chris Schwinden, just in case. R.A. Dickey doesn’t worry me, but I would like to see Schwinden starting every five game right now for, at least Buffalo to get his pitch count up to par. Again, just in case. 


 • One more thing on Mike. The Mets can cut him in camp and save the lion share of the $5.68mil they had agreed to pay him this year. I’m just saying that this money might be able to be spent better before the season starts. 


 • Rotograph’s Eno Sarris broke out the National League’s outfielders into five categories, number one being the stars (only four: Matt Kemp, Carlos Gonzalez, Ryan Braun, Justin Upton). The Mets outfield had one in tier 3 (Lucas Duda), one in tier 4 (Jason Bay) and one in tier 5 (Andres Torrez). 


 • He looks good. And, he pitched against a real good lineup on a championship team. I think we can now say that our team is three pitches deep in the rotation. You have to give Johan the opening day nod just for respect. I’d feel much better if R.A. Dickey was up to speed, but, at this point, I do have to admit that the Mets look like they have much more pitching than I expected on opening day. 


 • Forbes Magazine puts a $719million dollar value on the New York Mets, ranking them 6th behind NYY, LAD, Boston, the Cubs, and the Phillies. The gross value is down $4mil from the previous year and the net operating profit is estimated at -$40.8mil.

No comments: