6/8/13

Mack Ade – Morning Report – 6-8-13

In the first of, hopefully, many good moves in the next 30 days, RP David Aardsma has been promoted to the NY Mets. 


It’s hard to do this and not get emotionally attached. I was on the phone last night with original Mack’s Mets writer, David Rubin and it had me thinking. We both suffer with this team for different reasons. He roots for the Mets while I root for the minor league teams. I’ve been able to live with all the adversity on top of the ocean because I could concentrate my editorial skills on what’s bubbling under water. And, strangely, the site has become more draft orientated than parent or minor league clubs due to that reason (case in point: my first 2014 Q and A is with projected first pick RHP Tyler Beede and it posts up on Monday). I spend thousands of hours building up to these three days only to be insulted by the direction Sandy and Company is slowing taking this team. Like Brandon Nimmo two years ago and Gavin Cecchini last June, it’s not the player, but the drafting philosophy. I’m sure they think they are dong the right thing and they know a hell of a lot more about this than I do, but there just doesn’t seem to be any urgency in what they are trying to accomplish

.Draft Day Two is done and I had a wonderful wedding anniversary. I got back home in time to hear the 8th-10th picks live and I’ve got info up on the site on picks 3-8 (#9-10 will be up this morning). The general opinion by the draft experts I follow are that the Mets had a very strong draft. Jason Churchill of Prospect Insider told me: “ Love the Smith pick. Their pick of King is a solid one. Little under the radar power hitter.” 

Dan Kirby of Through The Fence told me (grading based on 0-10): "I would give it a 7... love Dom and the King pick was a steal. Went HS first 4 picks so it will take time to see what you got." 

Todd Gold/PG said: "  I really like Church and thought he belonged 2nd rd. Smith best HS prospect in class IMO. Really like what they've done. Didn't pitch because of red tape from HS Assoc, hammer CB, touches mid 90s, solid change, can pitch

The Mets and I are obvious in two different solar systems. I’m trying to forge out an immediate future with the minor leaguers and they are trying to build a strong 2008 team. The problem with all this is I don’t think any of them are going to be around that long so I don’t understand the self-gratification here. I mean, would it really have been a bad thing to go Bradon Shipley Austin Wilson 1-2?

For the third year in a row I’m going to have to take a pass and wait and see what develops here. Most of these picks will take a while to prove either worthy or not.

For now, the 2011 Sandy draft has produced six players that have reached the AA level. None from last year have joined them. All six were college juniors when drafted. And, 18 out of the 42 players drafted last year weren’t signed.

Let’s compare to divisional rivals:

                Washington has one 2011 draftee in the majors, and three in AA. They added two more at the AA level last year.

                Philadelphia has three 2011 draftees that have reached AAA and two more at AA. They added no more in 2012.

                Atlanta has one 2011 draftee in AAA and six more in AA. They added one more AA player from last year.

                Miami has one 2011 draftee in the majors, three in AAA, and two more in AA (all were college juniors). They added one more AA player from last year.


From Andy Martino:

Since the Mets had the tenth-worst record in baseball in 2012, they felt entitled to a protected top 10 pick. The team was only bumped to 11 because of Pittsburgh’s failure to sign its top pick the year before, which gave them the ninth overall pick this year as compensation.  The Mets argued that their pick should be protected, too. LINK

So, what this article is telling me is that the Mets passed on Bourn (.301), who is in the majors RIGHT NOW so they could draft a short first baseman with limited power that will be ready in 2018.


Ken Rosenthal about the Mets selling –

Move along, little to see here. Actually, that’s unfair. The Mets do have a few veteran parts that contenders might find attractive — catcher John Buck, outfielder Marlon Byrd, right-hander Shaun Marcum, righty relievers LaTroy Hawkins and Brandon Lyon. But none of those players would bring back significant quality, and the Mets might prefer to keep Buck, in particular, as they prepare to promote righty Zach Wheeler and eventually catcher Travis d’Arnaud, who is recovering from a broken bone in his left foot. The Mets are talking about buying if the right player becomes available. Could happen. But I’ll believe it when I see it. LINK


From Brian Costa -

For Mets minor leaguers, the last stop before the majors is a dilapidated ballpark 2,200 miles away from Citi Field. It is nestled along a row of abandoned lots and boarded up storefronts 5 miles north of the Las Vegas Strip, just past a motel sign that reads "Elvis Slept Here." "Basically, I can define it as the worst pitching place imaginable," reliever Greg Burke said. LINK
                
                   Sounds like CitiField and the car part junk stores…


Arizona signed 1B Mike Jacobs.

Atlanta released OF Corey Wimberly.

Baltimore signed P Jon Rauch.

Kansas City signed 2B Chase Lambin

Pittsburgh traded 1B Stefan Welsh to Boston for cash.

Tampa Bay signed C Jesus Flores.

5 comments:

The Closer said...

Short? He and David Wright are the same height and weight (when Wright was drafted). Smith will obviously put 15-20 lbs on before he reaches the big leagues and become more of a power hitter. Compared to Nimmo & Cecchini, this is actually a pick I like.

Now, Austin Wilson passing was another issue, but I'm assuming money had a role in that selection. Assuming Church signs for under slot, maybe it makes sense. We'll see what they both eventually sign for, assuming they both do sign, but talent wise, I was really hoping to see Wilson selected at #48.

Compared to the past 2 years, I'm actually pretty happy with the majority of our selections to this point. Ivan Wilson, Jared King, LJ Mazzilli, Patrick Biondi, etc. I think we got a few baseball players in there that I'm hopeful for.

Mack Ade said...

"short" - David Wright doesn't play first base

Michael S. said...

I think Alderson is the GM for another year or two and then DePo takes over. These picks are long-term because they want to have one of the better farm systems in a few years. Starting this year they're adding pitching pieces. Hopefully this deadline and offseason they'll add some bats. The players they're drafting will replace whomever they add to this team in the short term.

ssaq said...

same height or taller than mattingly and hernandez, and only 17 so may grow...

so with a plus glove and plus bat, could work, no?
So his height doesn't let him save how many errors/outs per year?

Mack Ade said...

ssaq:

yes, he could work out...

and he probably will work out...

my problem is that all this won't happen until probably 2017-2018, that's all

I would have liked the team to address the immediate problems more and draft people like Anthony Rendon who can get to the dance quicker