- He hit really, really well when he ended his at bats on zero or one strike of any combo (e.g., 3-1) – he hit like Babe Ruth in those counts
- He hit incredibly badly when he allowed the count to get to 2 strikes – he hit like another Ruth, Ruth Buzzi (old Laugh In comedienne, if you do not recall)
- His ratio of category #1 was way too low – far too few at bats ended on 0 or 1 strike counts, and way too many ended on counts with 2 strikes – 0-2, 1-2, 2-2, 3-2. Prime cause? Taking too many fat pitches early in counts.
- He’s had 53 at bats ending in 0 or 1 strike, and 76 with 2 strikes.
- In those 53 at bats, he is 23 for 53, with 9 doubles, all 3 of his homers and 10 of his RBIs. Not Ruthian, so far, but not bad.
- Particularly, when he’d end his at bats in 2015 on a zero strike count, he is 14-28. That is Ruthian, but happens again too infrequently (only 28 of 129 at bats).
Stinks. Has always stunk at it, and likely always will. Always an obscenely low average, with virtually no power or run production.