3/28/19

Mack – New Weekly Post





Good morning.



The Mets released three minor league players on March 20th  (source: Jacob Resnick) –

IF Oliver Pascual – The 22-year old is an International free agent who began his Mets career with the DSL Mets in 2014. The utility infielder played for three teams last season (.195) including seven games for Binghamton .280). At best, he had the potential to be an MLB utility infielder, but, at worst, he would never raise above the AAAA status.

IF/OF Dylan Tice – Tice was a pickup last season from the Indy League and hit .295 (44-AB) for the Cyclones. He has always hit wherever he went (3 seasons, 454-AB, .291), The release is, in my opinion, a surprising move.

P Andrew Ryan – The 23-year old was an undrafted 4-year graduate from the University of Massachusetts - Lowell. He pitched only 16.0-IP (11-G) for Kingsport, going 6.06, 1,96, 14-BB. Ryan, 22, pitched to a 6.06 ERA and 1.96 WHIP in 16.1 innings last year for the Kingsport Mets. The left-hander made his professional debut last season.



Got a fascinating email this week from an old bank friend…

John Mackin Ade. Funny how things from 40 years ago will just pop into your head. I was a teller in the Dry Dock Bank on the first floor at 655 Madison Ave. I used to cash your paycheck. Janet Rose, too. Pretty girl. None of the disco heads I knew would believe me when I told them I see her all the time and she's a young white lady. I never listened to KTU, as I was a NEW, PLJ and CBS listener. I wrote this on 12-3-18, so if you ever check your alternate message file, and happen to read this, I have one thing to say: Where in the hell did 40 years go? – Guy Barron



So, the regular season is upon us.

Here is the 25-man for opening day:

          Starters (5):  deGrom, Syndergaard, Wheeler, Matz, Vargas

          Relievers (7):  Diaz, Familia, Gsellman, Lugo, Wilson, Avilan,                                                 Peterson

          Catchers (2):   Nido, Ramos

          Infielders (7) – Cano, McNeil, Rosario, Smith, Guillorme, Davis,                                              Alonso 

          Outfielders (4) – Conforto, Nimmo, Broxton, Lagares


By now, I’m all sure you have heard what Noah Syndermouth said about going to Syracuse before the season started:

“I don’t know whose idea that was, but it’s not a smart one. I don’t think that’s conducive for winning ballgames. That much travel? I’m sure the amenities in Syracuse aren’t the best for a Major League Baseball team to go out there and have one last workout before the regular season starts, but those kinds of decisions are above my pay grade."

He finished his rant off by saying that he has never been to the city of Syracuse and has no desire to ever go there. Nice. Words to haunt him if he’s ever sent there for a rehab assignment.

Me? I would have just told the baby boy to go on to Queens… at his own expense… and I and the rest of the team will celebrate the merging of a great New York State city with our team.

You know me.  I’m old school.  Shut your mouth and do what you are told to do.

Sandy would be on the phones yesterday trying to find equal value for this guy.

Brodie will probably let it pass. He has had to dodge the lack of a deGrom extension everytime a mike is put in front of him and now he has this to deal with.

Welcome to the Big Apple, baby.



PC - Ed Delany 
So, the deGrom deal is now old news. And, everyone has returned from the tundra of Da Cuse and the season is upon us. And soon to follow will be the four full season minor league teams.

My assumption is the deal was it took for all parties to stand at the edge of the mountains before coming to an agreement to live on. Amazing.

This speaks volumes to the influence our new General Manager has over Fred Wilpon right now. I understand Jeff was with Brodie here.

The deal was doable, even using Wilpon math. Todd Frazier ($9mil/yr) will be lost to free agency after this season. Options for Juan Lagares ($9mil/yr,) and Jason Vargas ($8/mil) will probably not be picked up. Yoenis Cespedes’s $27.5mil/yr will be coming off the board at the end of the 2020 season.


PC - Ernest Dove
Lastly, all attention should now be placed on Zack Wheeler, who will be eligible for free agency at the end of THIS season.

I know most of you think that Michael Conforto is our biggest priority here, but he won’t be eligible for free agency until 2022.

Let’s get Wheeler done by the All-Star break.



Once again, I will be reposting the press releases I receive from each of the affiliates each day on the outcome of the past game.

In the past, Binghamton and Columbia have always sent me a press release after every game. Las Vegas sent only home games and St. Lucie continued their lack of support for the media and sent none.

I anticipate Syracuse sending a full season of press releases, which will create at least three morning posts a day.

They will begin to post up every morning at 6:00am, followed by 6:30am and 7:00am.



Lastly, please consider visiting the donation box, located on the top right of the lead page on the site. Thank you for any consideration here.

4 comments:

Tom Brennan said...

I think Syndergaard needs to be careful not to overdo voicing his opinion, although I still think he was not off-base this time. If he did start to lose velocity and scuffle, it would not take much for a guy who voices opinions to become the next Mesoraco.

Sunny and around 60 today in DC - perfect baseball weather.

Pete vs. Scherzer - that should be interesting.

Tom Brennan said...

After Wheeler's last spring outing, it is probably safe to wait a bit before trying to extend him (or not).

Reese Kaplan said...

Syndergaard runs the risk of becoming a more fit version of Curt Schilling.

Mike Freire said...

I agree, Mack.....I love Noah's talent, but I am not in love with his evolving "diva" attitude. I hope I am VERY wrong, but it
has echoes of Matt Harvey and that would truly suck if he went down the same path.

Maybe it was just a bit of immaturity and it is in the rear view mirror.