3/4/19

OPEN THREAD - Shortstop



Texas Gus said this in a weekend post:

 TexasGusCC said...

Bill raises a good round table discussion topic. It’s my thinking that Guerrero should go to the outfield this year and Mauricio will go next year. Give Mauricio another year of comfort so that at 17 no one is messing with his mentality, and Guerrero hasn’t played much anyway so since he’s a bit less range anyway, let’s start the process.

So... who are the players here...

    Amed Rosario - 23/yrs - MLB - .256/.295/.381/676

    Andres Gimenez - 20/yrs - AA - .277/.344/.352/702

    Shervyen Newton - 20/yrs - K-Port - .280/.408/.449/857

    Ronny Mauricio -  18/yrs - GCL - .279/.307/.421/728

So... who is our future shortstop and where do the others eventually play?





.

5 comments:

holmer said...

I think they all need another year before a decision is made to move them to another position. They are still young too young to pigeon-hole them.

Tom Brennan said...

I increasingly like Rosario at SS. Gimenez has to prove to me he is more than a better version of Ruben Tejada - I hope he far exceeds him.

Mauricio? Vientos will be at 3rd, so Big Mo can go the outfield in 2020, as was suggested.

Newton? He has to show me he can tame the Ks before I seriously consider his future Mets playing status.

Luis Guillorme so far is trying to say with his offense "don't forget about me." He did homer yesterday, an opposite field shot that the announcer said was wind-aided and barely cleared - his swing looked very compact and, as such, unlikely to generate much power still. The lack of power and speed make his task more challenging in a crowd of candidates.

Jim said...

I lean toward Richard's comment, that it's likely too soon.

From where I sit, I have no idea. But I don't think it's crazy to ask any of these kids to shag some flies out there, see if anyone has natural ball-tracking ability. Remember, Lagares came up as a SS. So part of the equation here is: Who is good at it?

The time-honored drafting strategy is to go for SS, because they are the best athletes on the field -- and you can always move them down the defensive spectrum.

We are currently seeing an impressive run of SS all over baseball. Strong, fast, athletic SS all over the place. At the same time, there's a lack of true CF talent, particularly within the Mets organization.

At some point, somebody should make the move.

Side note: On Gimenez, yes, Thomas, I worry a bit about the Tejada comp. I don't know if that's fair or not. But he looks small. Never been a believer in Guillorme. Sure he's a fine person.

Mauricio? It's all projection at the point. But I am quietly hopeful.

Jimmy P

Eddie from Corona said...

Rosario has to prove he is not a Below avg SS...

My guess its Mauricio At SS and Newton in the OF... I suspect the other 2 will be traded one day...

Jim said...

Last season I was disappointed in Rosario's defense. It was okay, only. I had hoped for "special." Because of that, I think he's a candidate for CF, should a better glove come along.

Jimmy P