3/29/19

Tom Brennan - METS WILL GO 162-0

I'M MAX - AND I'M MIGHTY MAD: 

JUST CALL ME MIGHTY MAD MAX

You beat Mighty Max Scherzer and his "A" game on opening day.

He may feel mighty mad.

But you, the Mets fanatic, feel unbeatable.

You realize Rumblin' Robbie Cano is light years from being washed up, as he wins his duel against Mighty Mad Max with a first inning opposite field blast, and a later RBI, too.

Pounding Pete Alonso's getting a very important first major league hit is cause to dance and shout.

Jeff McNeil went 0 for 3 and a walk, but K-Krazy Mighty Mad Max could not fan him. They fought to a stalemate.

Jake deGrom was in total Degrominator mode. Brilliant.  Not mad at all, as he got something very rare for him - a win!

Seth Lugo, Jeurys Familia, and Edwin Diaz gave the Mets a textbook 7th-8th-9th of impenetrable lock down relief.

If the Mets can beat the opposition's best, making him Mighty Mad in the process, why can't they beat the rest?

162-0, baby.  

We can dream.  

We won our opener.

We'll win the rest, too.


8 comments:

Mack Ade said...

It was interesting who the 'hero's of this game were...

Cano - a Mets newbie

McNeil - ++ fielding

Familia and Diaz - 1-2 punch in pen

Other hits... Ramos and McNeil

his was a ++ day for Brodey

Tom Brennan said...

Hopefully, another 99 ++ days for Brodie VW. 162 wins is a bit unrealistic, but I sure would love 100.

I'm sure no one thought the 1969 Mets could win 100 - but they did. I think this team is better than 1969's team.

Mike Freire said...

Excellent start, for sure.

I think Cano is going to be a really nice addition, as much for his leadership and veteran presence (harder to quantify).

Take two of three from the Nats and move on to the next series.

Tom Brennan said...

Cano ought to be in the 300 hit club, and possibly 400 homer club, before he is thru.

Scherzer was a topic of discussion yesterday - he is 54-20 with a K rate of over 12/9 IP the past 3 years - that is Koufax stuff.

Amazing that the Nats have done little the past 3 seasons, despite Scherzer and Strasburg going (if my math is right) 94-35 the past 3 seasons.

Unknown said...

I had a thought on the Nationals yesterday. I think the Nationals will be a better team without Harper than they were with him. Watching Scherzer I was thinking that this is "his" team now instead of Harper's team. Harper, in my opinion, has very little class and is a prima donna whereas Scherzer is the opposite. I remember the fight they had in the dugout that created, I'm sure, a rift between them that was felt in their clubhouse. I don't know how things will work out for Harper in Philly but I think the Nats will be better off without him. They've got some solid talent as well. Am I alone in this thinking?

Tom Brennan said...

Nope...Nats are very good - Scherzer, Strasburg, Soto, Robles, Rendon, Trea Turner and Eaton are seven high caliber players.

Some have them winning the division over the Mets. I do not. LGM.

Met Monkey said...

Holmer is right.

Dallas said...

Harper is a prima donna? He is passionate about baseball and makes things exciting. Matt Harvey was more of a prima donna, his outside baseball activities seem to outweigh the on field stuff and he pretty much admitted to that. Harper has never done anything disrespectful to the Mets. As a baseball fan I enjoy what he brings to the game.