3/28/19

Mack - Game Recap - Game 1: Mets 2, Nats 0




Thursday, 3-28 – Game 1:   Mets 2  Nats 0

I know all of you are drinking the Kool-Ade so far this year, and my thoughts could changed drastically if, by the end of this week that  the Mets average 8 runs a game, but my initial thoughts after Game 1 is, if this could be arranged, we should pick up the equipment and get out of the Nation’s Capital as quick as we could.

Two runs??? Only five hits??? And adding to this embarrassment, 14 strikeouts???

We all know that we could count on our pitching and I’m been preaching for years that you can win enough games to go into the playoffs if your starters give up less than three runs in first six innings, but you need to back this up with run production, something we are used to not receiving.

I will say this… thank God for Robinson Cano.

11 comments:

Tom Brennan said...

I am not embarrassed. Scherzer is a top 5 starter..,we won, anyway, on the road, to the guy he lost the Cy Young to. He wanted it real bad...he did not get it. We did.

Dallas said...

What Thomas said. Scherzer is a proven ace and multi-Cy Young winner and in the CY conversation pretty much every year. You can't be upset when you don't hit on all cylinders against that. That being said Conforto was also punched out twice when he should have been walked. It was Alonso's debut. I think they held their own especially defensively.

Mack Ade said...

Dallas

I had the rare opportunity to watch the game.

The Mets hitters' mechanics were way off. They were swinging blindly at pitches well out of the strike zone.

I know I'm being hyper over this. It is one game, right?

Still, as I wrote, my hopes is the lack of hitting is not the beginning of a pattern.

Dallas said...

I think thats what an ace on his game makes hitters look like.

Look at well we hit the 2nd half of last year without the improvements of Alonso, Cano, Ramos and eventually Lowrie. I don't think they are going to have any trouble scoring runs on a regular basis.

Jim said...

By this logic, you must think those poor Nationals are in for a rough season.

I mean, they couldn't score a run!

Jimmy P

Reese Kaplan said...

That's easy. Our Cy can beat up your Cy :)

Tom Brennan said...

Yep, Conforto got screwed twice on Called strike 3 balls out of the zone. No gimmes for Max, c'mon...a ball is not a strike...unless u r Tom Glavine.

Tom Brennan said...

Also, Scherzer fanned 300 for a reason last year...he is ahead of most hitters and skillfully moves ball around. Without Cano, we are shut out too. Long Live King Cano.

Met Monkey said...

And I thought Alonso stood in well and scrapped after Nimmo went down on three pitches. Scherzer is Scherzer. All is well.

Tom Brennan said...

Monkey, I thought the same about Alonso - he did not look intimidated.

We might today see another low scoring game and struggling Mets hitters - Stephen Strasburg is an outstanding 40-15 the past 3 years.

He is another top 10 pitcher in the NL. I would gladly accept another 2-0 win today.

Hopefully, Thor is better - but Nats can use speed on him if he lets the wrong guys on base.

Robb said...

You'll never convince me until his contract is up that the Cano trade was a good trade, bc of how expensive he will be in years 4 and 5, but for the next 2 years Im going to enjoy watching him and Diaz play.