3/4/20

Mack - Reflections on 2020 Mets’ Spring Training



I'm not a card carrying scout or baseball executive, but, if I was, I would offer up the following thoughts at this point of Spring Training:

1. It's hard to evaluate the offense of a team known for serious hitting and power, when they aren't producing any. Yeah I know... it's early... but, come on man. Hit the ball!

2.  I have no worries, in general, for the rotation this year. That being said, DO NOT TRADE any of these guys. You can't have enough great pitching and if you have too many great starters, you start five and put the rest in your pen.

3.  Michael Wacha is tied for the most innings thrown so far this spring. He also has a 0.00 ERA. His increased 1-2 clicks in velo seems to be translating into the passing of his litmus test.

4. I am very impressed at what Andres Gimenez has done this spring, but there just isn't a spot for him on this team come April. He needs to put his long johns on and head to Syracuse to polish his craft (note: I have no desire to trade anymore prospects away, but if he and Ronny Mauricio don't make a transition to another position, my guess is Gimenez will be shipped for someone that would fill a positional hole elsewhere).

5.  I expect the first set of cuts should be coming down this week. My guess is some of the names will be David Thompson, Jeremy Vasquez, Manny Rodriguez, Ryley Gilliam, Kevin Smith, Rob Whalen, and Stephen Villines.

6.  Don't get too excited about the low ERAs being shown by some of the minor league pitchers. Remember... a good potion of these games are minor league players playing each other. Now, go out there and turn in a 0.00 ERA against the other team's starters and then you will start to get my attention.

7. We are probably watching the end of the David Thompson experiment. He never hit consistently and moved from third to first in hopes of hanging on for another season. That probably was dashed as soon as Matt Adams was signed.

8. Two things will probably happen sometime this week. One, Seth Lugo will return to the mound. The second is a long shot but we may see Yoenis Cespedes pinch hit in a couple of games.

9. Francisco Franco is still dead and Jed Lowrie will continue to hang with Waldo somewhere in their puzzle.

10. As for one utility infield position, the era of Luis Guillorme might be coming to an end soon if the Mets choose the experience of Eduardo Nunez over the youth of Luis.










10 comments:

Reese Kaplan said...

I think the Nunez/Guillorme question has to do with the health of JD Davis and the perceived abilities of Robinson Cano. The stronger glove may triumph over the stronger bat and legs.

Tom Brennan said...

Lowrie's opportunity is coming - brace yourself.

I think he will be a Sept call up.

Wacha and Gimenez - nice!

David Thompson has yet to prove he is Zach Lutz, who never proved he was David Wright. Heckuva basketball player was Thompson, back in the day, though.

Mack Ade said...

Reese -

I don't know.

I am a big fan of Luis and a friend of his parents.

I hope you are right.

Mack Ade said...

Tom -

Thompson... basketball... cute.

Tom Brennan said...

My lasting memory of David the hoopster was when he was with NC State. He had that freaky vertical leap, and his teammate, 7'3" Tom Burleson, was crouched a bit to box out for a rebound. David elevated with that 50 inch vertical, his heels hit Burleson's shoulder and over he went on his head for a serious concussion.

Back to baseball - I think we will see Cespedes and Betances this weekend or just afterwards - based on nothing, just a gut feeling.

Tom Brennan said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Anonymous said...

Luis has a glove and Nunez is famously a poor defender.

Nunez can hit, if healthy, and Luis . . . not so much.

I like them both.

Interesting, to me, that Mets picked up two utility guys, Moroff and Hager. Both look like good ballplayers. These types are not hard to find.

A tough needle for Luis to thread. Wish he had speed.

I saw a piece recently from a blogger saying Mets blew it by not trading Smith. Ha-ha. To whom? Who would want the guy? What can he do?

Mets can give him away, I guess. But otherwise, he's a backup 1B on a team that doesn't need one. And a bad LF on a team that doesn't need one. And maybe a good lefty bat on the bench. Maybe that's enough. In the old days, it would be. But now with expanded pitching staffs, that role has been eliminated. And it might be that Matt Adams is better.

I like Dom, but he's far from a proven player. A lot of soft hits last year. Seems like a terrific human being. I don't think he fits, but also don't think Brodie has many/any appealing options.

So you just hold on, I guess.

Jimmy

Mack Ade said...

Jimmy -

Dom Smith has become a very valuable part of the future of this team. I wish they would extend him a la Juan Lagares so he can settle in with this team.

Remember... all bloggers need is Wifi... nothing else.

Tom Brennan said...

Luis has Gimenez roaring up behind him. That is the reality.

Hobie said...

I'm guessing Yo stays in PStL unless we see him in the field by St. Pat's Day. Karnak says Lowrie hangs 'em up.

I'm fine with a Smith/JDD LF covered by the sitting CF (Nimmo/Marisnick) with a late inning lead. Since the LF duo are also CIF back-up, and we could put a Squirrel in the OF if need be, the TWO UT's should be of MINF duty

Out of: Guillorme, Nunez, Hager & Moroff, I'd pick ...

...Giminez.and a third catcher.