6/10/21

Mike's Mets - The New York Media's Awful Coverage of Jarred Kelenic

 


By Mike Steffanos

As you probably already know, Seattle Mariners' top prospect Jarred Kelenic failed in his first attempt to establish himself as a Major League ballplayer. An 0-39 stretch was the final nail in his coffin. He'll now try to regroup in Triple-A. Most experts still expect Kelenic to become a very good player in MLB; it's just going to take a bit longer. Not every young player will become an instant star.

As you also know, the local media has covered Kelenic relentlessly since Brodie Van Wagenen immediately signaled how unprepared he was for the Mets GM job with his idiotic trade for Robinson Cano. They do this because these stories get their share of eyeballs. It's not only Mets fans who have become obsessed with the thought of yet another "one who got away" story. The whole ongoing story of Mets incompetence has become a prevalent topic in the national baseball media, and they're going to cling to it as long as they can. It matters not at all that the Wilpons, who created the mess that inspired all of the LOL Mets stuff, are finally and irrevocably gone.

The trade that the Mets made, sending Kelenic, Justin DunnGerson BautistaJay Bruce, and Anthony Swarzak to Seatle in return for Cano, Edwin Díaz, and cash covering $4 million per year of Cano's $24 million annual salary, has been rightly panned by just about everyone who opined on the deal since the day it was announced. I don't believe that I've ever read a single take where the author liked the Mets' side of the deal.

Seatle undoubtedly would have taken much less to get rid of Cano, even with Díaz included in the deal. Van Wagenen got fleeced badly, no doubt. Hey, I can sympathize. I bought my first car, a 1972 Camaro, when I fell in love at first sight at a less-than-reputable used car lot. The guy that owned the place saw the stars in my eyes and got me to pay about twice what the car was worth. I only had it for a year before it finally gave up the ghost. It was an expensive lesson, but I never got duped like that ever again buying a car.

I'll assume that Brodie learned some lessons from his trade debacle. In any case, I doubt very much that any MLB team will ever let him anywhere near a GM job again. After all, he was never qualified in the first place. Don't feel too bad for the guy, however. He definitely landed on his feet. Meanwhile, Mets fans are left wondering how the $40 million the Mets still owe Cano could possibly bring much value back. As a bonus, we also have the relentless, breathless, and quite silly coverage of Seattle's top prospect, who was, of course, once one of ours.

There are so many stories to write about the Mets this season. They're a more interesting team to discuss than they have been in quite some time — unless the only thing you're looking to talk about is the tried and true, LOL Mets, organizational dysfunction variety. Then you're just left with the same old tired, used-up crap that keeps getting regurgitated in the desperate quest for attracting eyeballs to content.

Case in point: Matthew Roberson's piece in the Daily News yesterday. Roberson, noting "dozens of cheerful moments" so far in the Mets season, then actually characterized Kelenic's demotion as "a brief addition of schadenfreude" for Mets fans. For those of you who don't do crossword puzzles, schadenfreude is defined by Webster's dictionary as "enjoyment obtained from the troubles of others."

I'm friends with a good number of Mets fans. One guy I know even felt that trading for Robinson Cano was a good move, although he's since changed his mind when Cano was suspended for this season. I do not personally know a single Mets fan who derives enjoyment from Kelenic's failure to stick in the Major Leagues.

Don't get me wrong. I know there are some Mets fans out there who are rooting against Jarred Kelenic. I doubt very much, however, that the majority of Mets fans feel this way. Most of us don't view life in the sort of zero-sum, do-or-die mentality that demands that some kid fails so that we can feel "better" about something that was done by some folks who are no longer here.

I feel as if I'm solidly in the majority when it comes to Kelenic. I don't follow his day-to-day exploits, as I tend not to do for players on other teams, even those who formerly were Mets. My focus is elsewhere. But I sure as hell don't root against the guy, and I take no pleasure in his misfortune nor the misfortune of Mariners' fans.

Jarred Kelenic didn't ask to be traded, and I don't believe he thinks much about the trade that sent him to Seatle. Making it in the Major Leagues is tough enough, as his rough 23 game introduction to MLB demonstrated. He doesn't need the ridiculous extra spotlight from the media trying to needle Mets fans with his exploits.

Continue reading by clicking here.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

>> his idiotic trade for Robinson Cano. <<

It is pretty idiotic -- or intentionally misleading -- to describe it as a trade for Cano when Diaz was the main piece.

I have no problem with someone disliking the trade. But if you are going to complain about the lazy media, don't actually be the lazy media in the very same article.

Jimmy

Seattle Steve said...

As a Met fan since 62...and Seattle area residence since 71...I have mixed feelings re the Kelinic current failure in his ML debut...all I can say is ...LETS GO METS!

Mike Steffanos said...

Jimmy, the trade was primarily for Cano. Diaz was just a piece of it. No one else I have ever read has characterized Diaz as the main piece of the trade. Do me a favor and don't comment on my writing any longer if you can't be honest.

Mike Steffanos said...

And, by the way, trading 2 top prospects for a reliever would still be an awful trade, anyway. Jeez...

bill metsiac said...

I agree with Jimmy. With McNeil on the team, there was no "gaping hole" at 2B. Room for improvement, perhaps, but no desperate need.

The pen, however, was another story. We had no potential closer, and the opportunity to get a 25 year old who led the majors in saves with 100+ mph heat was what made Brodie overpay.

We can hate the deal, but calling it "the Cano deal" is misleading at best. I did not like the deal because Kelenic was in it, but I always feel "a prospect is just a prospect until he proves himself".

We've had our share of F-Marts, Ochoas, Milledges, Escobars, et al, just to name few. I wish Kelenic much future success, but right now, at this point in time, there's no way we'd be in 1st place if he were here and Diaz elsewhere.

Mike Steffanos said...

You're both ignoring this paragraph:

"The trade that the Mets made, sending Kelenic, Justin Dunn, Gerson Bautista, Jay Bruce, and Anthony Swarzak to Seatle in return for Cano, Edwin Díaz, and cash covering $4 million per year of Cano's $24 million annual salary, has been rightly panned by just about everyone who opined on the deal since the day it was announced. I don't believe that I've ever read a single take where the author liked the Mets' side of the deal."

I think that was a complete summary of the entire deal, wasn't it? And no credible writer liked the deal when it happened.

I'm not going to respond to any more comments inaccurately criticizing my entire post where I did not once call it "the Cano deal", by the way. I'll take legit criticism when warranted, but not this stuff

Gary Seagren said...

My biggest problem was (and has never been addressed as far as I know) is the conflict of interest scenario with BVW trading for one of his biggest client's. As far as the skicky stuff the Stones Sticky fingers was an awesome album but of course it won't help the current situation in baseball but a great listen while your mulling it over.

bill metsiac said...

Mike, you may not have used the exact words, "the Cano deal", but you definitely referred to "the idiotic trade FOR ROBINSON CANO", which sounds an awfully lot similar.

And even though the paragraph you quoted indicates that a lot of folks agree with you, that doesn't mean that readers here don't have the right to DISagree.

And if others disagreeing with you upsets you that much, maybe you should consider writing at a site where there is no reader interaction.