6/24/21

Tom Brennan - MEGILL? NOW THAT'S WHAT I'VE BEEN TRYING TO TELL YA!

My late, great father-in-law John Augustine, God rest his soul, who was involved in designing and building the L.E.M. that was deployed to rescue the Apollo 13 astronauts, frequently would say to us: 

"That's what I've been trying to tell ya."  

We were a little slow on the uptake at times, you see.

But Tylor Megill?  

Friends, what you saw last nite?  

That's what I've been trying to tell ya!

Kid's good.  Kid's big.  Kid's got good command.  Kid has fine control.  Kid is cool, calm, and collected.  Kid is tough. 

Yep....

"That's what I've been trying to tell ya!"

As a third of the pitching staff self-immolated or imploded over the past few days (take your descriptive pick), the Mets needed someone to hold the tough Braves at bay - and that Megill did, going into the 5th inning.  Freddy Frickin' Freeman was doubly frickin' tonight, as he had 2 singles through the infield against him.  

Megill did also give up a 2 run homer on what I thought was a decently placed hard fastball that Inciarte put a fine swing on for the 2 runs he allowed.  Major league hitters are more dangerous than the minor league variety.  But Megill did fine.

He passed the audition.

I loved this in the NY Post this AM...Megill said:

“I got the opportunity and I wanted to go out there full force and make a statement and help the team win”.

“I was impressed with his poise,” Rojas said.  

Hey, Megill, we saw that, and Luis, so was I.

He does need to go deeper into games.  But heck, having just 45 career innings above A ball, when Jake, Matz, Thor, Zack, and Matt averaged over 200 innings in AA and AAA, makes the relatively light-on-high-level experience Megill's performance that much more amazing.  

Heck, he only had about 140 total innings of pro ball coming into last night's tilt.  Greater length into games will come soon enough.

To anyone who doubted the lad, I will say again: "That's what I've been trying to tell ya."  

And his next start?  I think he will improve.  Improving, you see, is what he does.

Watching Megill was very encouraging.  Certainly no one in the Mets' hierarchy after tonight is not open to Tylor pitching again in 5 days.  Quality - check.  Composure - check. Captured lightning in a bottle - check.

Big, big ovation for big, big Tylor as he walked off.  Umps ruined it a bit by checking him RIGHT THEN(!) for foreign substances - MLB must be using foreign substances themselves with this inane "stop and frisk" policy.

Anyway, Conforto and McNeil hit well, helping Lindor hit well - nothing like not being naked in the line up.  13 hits over 8 innings - my favorite Mets ratio.

Suddenly, the offense looked functional again.  Even (dare I say it) dangerous.

Nice relief effort by Corey Oswalt, too.

Nice save by the fiery Ice Man, Edwin Diaz, too.

An awesome night - and Jake did not even have to stir.  Sweet.

Anyway, get used to Tylor Megill succeeding, or I'll just have to keep reminding you, "That's what I've been trying to tell ya."

He looked like a # 5 starter - for now, until he climbs up further.

And speaking of Jake, our John From Albany let me know that Megill's first start was at the age of 25 years, 330 days.  

DeGrom's age on the date of his first start? 25 years, 330 days.  Somehow, that seems to be no mere coincidence.

Happy days are here again. That's what I've been trying to tell ya.

9 comments:

Mack Ade said...

The average ERA for an SP5 is somewhere between 4.00 and 5.00.

Megill checked that box.

Eddie from Corona said...

I definitely thought about all your praise when he pitched yesterday
You deserve a well timed I told you so

Tom Brennan said...

Thanks, Eddie. A clock is right twice a day. I'm right once in a Blue Moon.

But I think I am right - Megill will be good - how good is now up to him. He is in the Piranha Pool now. The MLB Freddie Freemans have sharper teeth than the minor league guppies do. He needs to beat them back.

I am not expecting he'll have an 0.50 ERA after 12 starts....after all, that's impossible, isn't it?

Tom Brennan said...

Mack, Tylor will have to learn to stay effective thru the 5th and 6th - he has not gotten there yet. When he does, his 4 or 5 might become a 3. And a 3 ain't bad.

Opportunity knocked - and he swung the door open last night.

Gary Seagren said...

Tylor Megill took the hill and gave us a trill and now we hope he doesn't go on the IL. I'm not really good at rhyming but that came to mind which I guess is a little scary but I'm old and just glad the brain still works. Great come back from the last sorry week and a good omen for the Phils coming up. The big question of course is can we make it to the AS break and not have all our pitchers arms fall off. Hoping and praying only gets u so far. Tom so your father-in-law was involved with the Apollo 13 rescue mission which is very impressive and I wonder if anyone involved in the program is still available to help rescue us from the dreaded IL nightmare were in. Rescue Me Fontella Bass good theme song for us.

Tom Brennan said...

Bungalow Bill sure likes Megill.

Anonymous said...

I thought he did surprisingly well. At least for the first 4 innings. He was not good in the 5th and kind of lost the strike zone. Nerves? Probably a started to get tired from the adrenaline wearing off a bit. Totally understandable. Overall there was a lot to like there.

Tom Brennan said...

Agree 100%, except he didn't surprise me :)

Anonymous said...

Tylor Megill isn't going to be just another Mike Pelfrey or Craig Swan. He has a lot more skills to his pitches than just "let's hope this pitch works out."

It didn't take long to showcase his ability. And he did it quite easily.

You'll see.

NYK

Valanciunas and Doncic. Lose Robinson, Barrett (the new Carmelo w/ the 40 shots per game, 14 hits), Bullock, and Payton to compensate financially.