6/18/21

Tom Brennan - HOME FIELD IMPACT OF CYCLONES PARK


I was kinda tough on Ronny Mauricio here a few times and a few times while talking with my brother.

But something came to my attention that causes me to largely retract that.  

So retract I will.

WHAT WAS IT?  

NAMELY: CYCLONES PARK IS VERY TOUGH TO HIT IN.

I am not going to do a long analysis here.

But when I checked the home-away stats thru Wednesday' games of the team's two top hitters, Bret Baty and Ronny Mauricio, (Francisco Alvarez got here later, so let's leave him out of this right now for simplicity), what I saw was staggering:


BATY:

HOME:  15 GAMES - .220/.304/.320

AWAY:   16 GAMES - .417/.520/.717


MAURICIO:

HOME:  15 GAMES - .115/.179/.135

AWAY:   17 GAMES - .316/.342/.684


And not in the above figures, Mauricio got 3 more ROAD hits last night, further increasing the disparity.

Wow, what incredible home vs. away differences.  Cyclonic winds are the likely culprit.  I did no analysis beyond these hitters' home - away slashes.  Just this simple, stark numerical  observation.

All I could say is: WOW.

After that, all I felt like saying was: 

Promote them to Binghamton.

At least when the Cyclones have home games.

You draw whatever conclusions you wish.  

I've drawn mine.

But here’s a trade: 

Ducks Stadium in Islip

For  Cyclone Stadium in Coney Island.

As in wind-off-the-ocean Coney Island.


Before I go, I decided to look at one of my Mets prospect dark horses, Jose Peroza, in that same regard.  Jose just turned 21 and his next career RBI will be # 100.  

Anyway, Jose played a substantial amount in Brooklyn in 2019, and so I looked at his home and away splits in 2019 (full disclosure: their splits did not differentiate between Brooklyn and his other 2019 team's games).  Given the above Baty and Mauricio splits, though, I was not surprised at the following gaping disparities for Jose:

HOME:  .194/.240/.376

AWAY:   .341/.426/.671

The park may be pretty and festive, but for hitters, it sucks.


Jake Shoulder:

I think, clean MRI or no clean MRI, that if his shoulder is sore and perhaps fatigued, rest it. I say so for the following non-MD reason:

As a lefty, I over-use my left arm.  Lefty everything.  When doing a lot of heavy stuff, my left arm, forearm, and shoulder get quite fatigued and sore and stay that way for a long time.  The right side? 100%. Totally fine.  Jake needs to avoid chronic arm and shoulder fatigue.  It may not be that at all, but I throw it out there.

12 comments:

Tom Brennan said...

Writing this article was a breeze.

bill metsiac said...

What are the corresponding home/away figutes for the pitchers?

If the park is the factor, then our pitchers should have reverse splits, right?

Tom Brennan said...

Bill, I did not look further. But having top prospect hitters discouraged by a contrary park is seemingly self-defeating.

We remember the good Ike Davis slamming homers, but I recall he started out in Brooklyn and it took over 300 plate appearances to register his first as a pro.

I just didn’t want to dig deeper. But BATY, Mauricio, and Peroza stats are alarming to me.

bill metsiac said...

IMO it's a double-edged sword. While it may hold down their #s now, it will force them to make adjustments that will benefit them down the road.

As you pointed out, the Polar Bear struggled to hit HRs in Brooklyn, but we don't know how much impact that had on his amazing 2019.

The #s you posted for the hitters on the Clones indicate that it is a "pitcher's park", which is why the effect on our young pitchers is equally relevant asvthat on the hitters.

Tom Brennan said...

I do recall that Jaison Valera had an outstanding year in Brooklyn in 2018, as did Marcos Molina and Luis Mateo, llikely aided by pitchers park.

bill metsiac said...

All well and good, but I am still interested in seeing if the home/away stats for the pitchers correlate with those of the hitters.

John From Albany said...

Good stuff as always Tom - Baseball America surveyed all the minor league parks a while back and Brooklyn was one of the toughest. Very tough on righty hitters especially as that ocean breeze in RF keeps balls in the park.

bill metsiac said...

Wouldn't the RF breeze mostly hurt LEFTY hitters?

John From Albany said...

Yep...sorry, lefty hitters. Righty hitters seem to struggle there as well though.

Tom Brennan said...

Bill just saw updated Cyclone pitcher team stats: 4.14 ERA at home, 5.92 on the road - a 1.78 differential!

More indication of how much of a "pitchers park" (and anti-hitters' park) it is in Coney Island.

bill metsiac said...

That does establish it as a pitcher's park. On the other hand, a 4.13 staff ERA in a pitcher's park is very disappointing.

Let's hope for good draft picks in a few weeks. 🤞

Tom Brennan said...

Gil”, substandard teams. lots of bad Mets minors pitching. Ginn is a bright spot