10/24/21

Best Of MLB DRAFT DATABASE - Q and A - LHP Trey Dombrowski - Monmouth University (NJ)


 Trey Dombrowski is a 6-5, 220 pound junior playing at Monmouth University, New Jersey. 

Prospect Live describes his approach this way: 

Analysis: Dombroski’s base profile is ideal for a SP. His punch distribution shows that his active pitchability skillset is above average on throwing quality strikes to generate weak contact and be competitive in the strike zone. His ceiling as a SP on pitchability alone will be determined by the development of his arsenal to generate more whiffs.  

His 2021 stat line was: 9-G, 8-ST, 5-1, 2.73, 52.2-IP, 64-K, only 8-BB 

I caught up with Trey this weekend and we had a short, but very rewarding Q and A:

 

Mack - 1. First, tell us a little about yourself, when you started playing this game, and when you first dedicated yourself to a life on the mound? 

Trey - My name is Trey Dombroski and I am from Wall, New Jersey. I am currently a Junior at Monmouth University in New Jersey and my major is Business with a concentration in accounting. When I was 16, I started to really focus on being a pitcher because this was the time I saw I had a brighter future in pitching compared to hitting. I have a passion for pitching because I have a ton of fun doing it, and because of pitching I have been able to create relationships that will last a lifetime. 

Mack - You came to the Cape this past summer as a basic unknown middle reliever and walked away with major ink from the scouts.  Did you throw up anything different there? 

Trey - When I went up to the Cape I did not do anything different. I just went up there being confident in myself and trusting all of the work I had previously had put in. My pitching coach in the Cape told me to just be myself and trust all the work I had put in. 

Mack - Tell us a little about what batters face when they get into the box? 

Trey - When batters step into the box they are facing a bulldog that is going to attack you with all of his pitches. I am a pitcher that does not shy away from competition and will throw any pitch in any count. Also, hitters see all 4 pitches in any count because it helps keep them off balance and guessing throughout the entirety of the at-bat. 

Mack - I am sure you love Monmouth. Who helps you the most there and do you think you will be a weekend starter this season? 

Trey - All my coaches, strength coaches, sports medicine staff, academic support staff, and professors help me the most here because they constantly push me to new heights and make me understand why I am doing what I am doing. Also, because they help me understand who I am and push me to become a better person and athlete. 

Mack - What are you working on in the off season to improve your game? 

Trey - I am currently working on becoming a better athlete, becoming more athletic in my delivery, and becoming stronger. These are things I am really focusing on because I feel these are areas of my game that are lacking and need to be better at. I love working on these because it helps me set goals for myself and attack them every day. Overall, I need to be better in all areas of my game, but these are the most important parts that need improvement. 

Mack - Last question I ask everyone... what is the first thing you are going to buy with your signing bonus? 

Trey - (smiling) The first thing I am going to buy is a Jeep Grand Cherokee and then I plan on saving the rest of my money. 

 

Thanks Trey for your time and whiff them out this season!

4 comments:

Tom Brennan said...

Wishing Dombrowski the best - I love guys who are laser-focused on what they need to do to get better.

Mack Ade said...

I am now up to 2 interviews a week.

8 of Perfect Game's top 10 2024 prospects now follow me.

Tom Brennan said...

That's excellent. Very happy for you - and them. Gives them more sunlight. Obscurity is overrated.

TexasGusCC said...

Nice interview. I like his honesty.