12/5/21

Best of MLB Draft Database - 2022 - Q and A - RHP - Cooper Dossett



We’re talking this morning with Her-Ber H.S. (Arkansas) RHP Cooper Dossett. 

Dossett has impressed the scout early with  his explosive fastball, as well as an impressive ++ curve. 

He plans to keep it in the state if he chooses to attend college, verbally committing to the University of Arkansas Razorbacks. 

Here we go.

 

Mack - Hello, Cooper.  Before we get to today, tell us a little about how you have gotten to this place.  When did you start playing baseball and when did you decide that there might me a future for you in this game? 

Cooper -  I started playing tee-ball when I was 5, and I have been playing ever since.  I have always loved to play.  When I was 14, I went to the MLK PG Tournament in Phoenix, AZ and set the event record for FB velo for a Freshman.  That was probably the first time I thought I might have a future in baseball. 

 

Mack - Moving on, let’s spend a little time about the people that influenced you on the way and any coaches you would like to send kudos to for their instruction? 

Cooper -  My parents got me involved in baseball when I was young and took me all over the place for travel ball.  I have had great coaches my entire life.  

I played in Coach Bubba Carpenter's organization growing up, and he was key in my development, especially early on and I still work with him today on hitting.  

Coach Doug Willey has been the biggest influence on my pitching.  He really knows his stuff, and I credit him with helping me discover my ability as a pitcher and helping me maximize my potential. 

Coach Chase Brewster with the Arkansas Sticks has been a big part of helping me in the recruiting process, believing in me and seeing my potential.

 

 Mack - As far as I can tell, you have two dominating pitches… the curve and the heater. Which one of them do you think will become your go-to pitch down the road? 

Cooper -  My fastball, because of my metrics/numbers and my confidence in the pitch.  Also, my fastball sets up my curveball to be most effective. 

 

Mack - You have been clocked at 96 on the mound and 100 from the outfield. Do you see any room for ticking up from here? 

Cooper - Definitely.  I believe I have more development and maturing physically ahead of me.

  

Mack - We all need improvement. Tell us about the things you are working on in the summer to improve your game next season? 

Cooper -  I am working on managing my workload to be healthy and recovered for games.  I am also working to improve each of my pitches, and specifically I am wanting to develop a slider/cutter.  I am also working to improve my mechanical flaws.

  

Mack - And lastly… the question I ask all prospects. Let’s say you decide to go pro next year and I hand you a seven figure signing bonus check. What is the first thing, cash only, that you would buy with that money? 

Cooper - I haven't ever thought about that.  I have a lot of hard work ahead of me.  We will see what the future holds. 

Thank you for your interest in me and taking the time to visit. 

--Cooper


Visit https://mlbdraftdatabase.blogspot.com/ daily for all your 2022/2023/2024 Scouting Reports

 

2 comments:

Tom Brennan said...

Cooper Dossett could be a real first round consideration, it appears.

Mack Ade said...

Good guy too.