7/16/23

Tom Brennan - Our Crap Shoot is Far Crappier Than Their Crap Shoot

Guppies are Fun to Watch! But some are crappy. 

When drafts go badly, “it is a crapshoot.”

But that is an excuse. Consider this:

Spencer Strider was a cheap bonus Braves 4th rounder coming off Tommy John but throwing 97 with a plus slider. Look at him now.

Mets’ picked Pete Crow Armstrong Round 1, which I loved, but then, to be polite, went for garbage in rounds 2-5.  Could have picked Strider but hey, it’s a crapshoot.

In 2019, when they played with slickly moving money all around to draft Matt Allan, despite some whispers of elbow concerns, Braves drafted Michael Harris in round 3 of 2019. 

Mets got Baty round 1, which pick hopefully will pan out, and drafted (ahem) all garbage after him, including with Allan not pitching since 2019. Yeah, I know, crapshoot.

I would trade 1st round Baty for 3rd round Harris right now, in a heartbeat, too.

This is exactly and precisely how franchises diverge (or, in this case, stay diverged).

So, pardon me if I don’t get excited about the Mets, 2023 draft. I’ve seen the shooting of way too much crap for way too long from Queens.

I did, BTW, look Thursday afternoon, and the Braves had already signed their top 4 and 6 of their top 10. 

Mets? All unsigned.

Just a crapshoot.

BUT…

On a more positive note about the Mets’ two 2022 first rounders:

Kevin Parada hit TWO HRs in Brooklyn last night. Now has 10.

Jett Williams got on base 5 times last night, has walked or been HBP 70 times in 68 games, and has 28 steals. .418 season OBP.

ALSO:

Ronny Mauricio has HRs in two straight games after missing a few tilts.

And that ain’t crappy, Pappy.

TIME TO SELL. RIGHT NOW.

Self explanatory.

ALREADY ELIMINATED.

After my dentist fumbled an implant crown down my throat in mid-May, I am unhappy to say it has not yet been “eliminated”.  The magic number there remains ONE.

The Mets? They are already eliminated, even if the math still says otherwise.

11 comments:

bill metsiac said...

Good analysis, however depressing. But keep in mind that if Harris was a 3rd rounder (LATE 3rd) that means that over 80 players were picked ahead of him, and every MLB team passed over him 3 times before tha Braves got their turn. So it wasn't just us.

And the draft IS a crapshoot, especially with so many HS kids or collegiates who played vs weak opponents.

Someone posted a list of the #1 overall picks of the last 10 years, and there were many who fell by the wayside. Meanwhile, last year's MLB batting champ was drafted after hundreds of othr picks. And the greatest Catcher in Mets history was almost undrafted at all, but signed by the Dodgers as a favor to his godfather.

Getting back to this year's picks, the Mets have signed all of thier 1st 4 picks this year, along with many others.

Yes, things look grim right now, but don't wave the white flag just yet.

Mack Ade said...

I'm sorry that I have been comment silent, have eliminated my Tues prospect stat recap, and dud a shite job on the draft

Did put a post up recapping the first 2 picks without any thoughts.

There is nothing that screams out to me in this draft.

A million pitchers that could have in 4 years be either Tyler Stuart or Jordany Ventura

Check with me after the 2027 season and I'll give you an opinion

(if I'm still around)

Gary Seagren said...

Mack you have to be still around we both have many years left because we have to be here for the next Met ticker tape parade! Come on don't fade on me now. Tom love your post and if the powers that be didn't make really stupid moves we'd still have Kelenic PCA Gimenez and Rosario for starters and yes Gimenez and Rosario's loss is on you Steve. There's nothing worse than an old overpaid bad team and I'm kind of surprised fans are still showing up for this crap. The big question now is just when do they pull the trigger because everyday they wait it's more time lost to see Ronnie and Mark and the free fall for Jeff is mind-boggling what a crazy season this is.

Mack Ade said...

Gary

Frankly, it's more out of desire.

I will finish the daily minor league wrapup this season

I can't commit right now past that

Tom Brennan said...

Thanks, gents. Maybe we’ll win a few more crap shoots.

In many ways, I feel like Mack here, which is one reason I am in attack mode, with more to come.

Funny thing is, I have repeatedly wanted fences moved in more. The season may have pivoted Friday when Nimmo hit the top edge of the fence, it stayed in play, and they failed to score, and lost. Stay stupid, keep losing.

Mack Ade said...

I've been a fan since 1962

This makes it 61 seasons

I danced 2x

Been writing since 2005

Tank empty during these years

Apesquat said...

Baty has me worried a bit. I like him but he looks totally list at the plate. Yes, the missed pop up was bad, but it happens. I think he took his bad at bats to the field with him and lost concentration. But again, his approach at the plate seems to be no approach, just swing.

D J said...

Apesquat,
He seems to need a coach working with him with pitch selection and correcting his over swinging. He has the talent, but he is certainly pressing.

Mack Ade said...

Team is at an all time in moral and fearing the trading deadline

Like many of the fans, they just want the season to end and go home

Tom Brennan said...

Mack, bring up the kids. Trade Alonso. Promote Almonte (another HR today). Then we can both “retire”

bill metsiac said...

Almonte, Tom? Seriously? He's 33 years old, hitting .229 in AAA.