12/4/10

John Lennon

In 1978, we hired Murry The K to be the morning disc jockey on our brand new radio station, WKTU-FM, "the Mellow Sound".

John and Yoko showed up at the contract signing luncheon at Joe's Pier 52 and agreed to do the news live for the first three days that Murray hosted the show... for free.

My wife and her sister were put in charge of keeping both John and Yoko comfortable throughout the show and Yoko asked that we serve egg salad sandwiches, with mayonaise, during the 6am-10am shift. Bill Boggs did the weather. Geraldo Rivera did the sports. It was a magical three days.

Yoko crossed paths with me again in 1995, when her foundation contacted me in Savannah, Georgia and asked if I could find a venue for her to display the John Lennon Lithograph collection. I got her the lobby of the Radisson comp and she gave me one of John's signed lithos as a present for treating them with respect back in 1978.

How did she remember?  I don't know. Maybe very few treated her nice back then.

John Lennon will always be my hero.

Peace, John

No comments: