1/1/11

My Wishes For 2011

One of the most disappointing years in Mets history has come to a close and, hopefully, there will be better days ahead of us. New Year’s Eve doesn’t have the same meaning when you had your last drink 25 years ago and I’ve never been much of a Bowl man either. No, it’s a day to reflect, watch quit smoking ads on the television, and think out loud about the ten things you hope go different beginning right now.


1. I hope for a competitive Mets 2011 season. I’m not looking for a pennant winner at this point in the Alderson era. Wild card is even out of my grasp. No, I want a team to finish at least third in their division, hit the .500 mark, and develop a couple more fine players like the ones (Ike Davis, R.A. Dickey, Angel Pagan) that blossomed in 2010.



2. I want an end to the “who’s on second” story every one of us writers post at least once a month. Wouldn’t it be nice if Daniel Murphy finally found a home somewhere on the Citi Field diamond and put to rest to what this team is going to do here? You all know that I am a big Reese Havens fan, but there’s worse things in the world than a position that is already filled with a great ballplayer.

3. I want Matt Harvey to be real. Personally, I have never written more about a Met that hasn’t played a lick. The Mets desperately need to develop starting pitchers and Harvey and Jenrry Mejia would make the future so much brighter if both could become major league stars.



4. I want a Met over-slot draft in 2011. There is a fantastic opportunity here to get three top talent players in the first two rounds, which some day could represent over 8% of a future 25-man squad. There’s nothing I work harder on all year than my draft coverage and there is no day I am disappointed more than that same day, when the Mets start picking people I don’t even have on my board.



5. I want my press credentials back. I lost them this year because my newspaper gig dried up and, according to Mets policy, I’m “only a blogger” now. I have officially asked for a review of this decision and, hopefully, I’ll get my day in court. I never attend a Met regular season game. I just go to Florida for a few days a year and soak in everything I can learn about the guys in the system, so Mack’s Mets can be a better source of minor league info for all of you. I hope someone in the Mets front office will recognize the need for this.



6. I want an end to the Jose Reyes rumors. Yes, I have recommended he be traded, but in truth, I’d much rather he finally reaches his potential and the Mets resign him for five more years. Hell, he’s still one of the top shortstops in baseball now and he’s only now entering the years players play their best ball. The Mets are simply a better baseball team when Jose is on, and it would be nice to put this position in the pocket where first and third base is right now.



7. I want Carlos Beltran to have a wonderful spring. I’ve always loved him as a Met, though I recognize that he won’t be around in 2012. The best scenario would be an injury-free first half of the season for Carlos that would create a trade to a 2011 pennant contender around the all-star break. I would think there could be two good prospects in a deal like this.



8. I’d like some “positive waves” to go in the direction of my fellow MM writer, David Rubin. You’re used to my belly-aching about my finances and health, but David stands quiet during a time he is jobless while his wife continues to recover from transplant surgery. Rubin’s been a good friend to the Mack household and, if any of you are lighting candles out there this weekend, pass on me and do one for David.



9. I’d like David Wright’s contract extended so there isn’t any doubt that he will finish his career someday as a Met. Only Tom Seaver has represented this team better than David and let’s hope the current ownership doesn’t treat him as poorly as previous Mets suits treated Tom Terrific.



10. And lastly, I wish all of you the best of health, for both you and your family. It’s a hoot to write about the New York Mets every day and it’s an honor to be read by you as well.

No comments: