12/4/10

Q&A: - New York Mets SP - Dillon Gee

Mack: Good morning everybody. We're talking today to one of the newest members of the New York Mets, pitcher Dillon Gee. Good morning Dillon, how was your Thanksgiving and didn't you have an anniversary recently?

Gee: Hey Mack, my Thanksgiving was really good and yes, my wife and I did just celebrate our first year of marriage in November!

Mack: Dillon, I start these interviews with the kids asking them what it was like on the day they were drafted. In your case, let's move on to that wonderful day that you pitched in your first major league game for the New York Mets. Tell us about it.

Gee: That day is tough to put into words. It's something I dreamed about since I was a little kid. To get the news that I was called up was one of the proudest moments of my life then on top of that to find out I was going to start two days later just spurred a whirlwind of emotions. It's something I will never forget and I couldn't have imagined it going any better!

Mack: Okay.... you walk out to the mound, throw your warm-ups, the catcher tosses the ball around, it eventually comes back to you, the ump gives the call to play ball and ... well... you take that first pitch from here...

Gee: Well I just kept telling myself to just throw a strike on the first pitch. As soon as it left my hand it was like the weight of the world had been lifted off my shoulders. It was a strike and I told myself it's just another game. You have done this a million times. Just focus and execute every pitch. From there on out I didn't notice anything but the glove!


Mack Ade
 Mack: That's fantastic. Dillon, this is both an exciting and changing time for both Mets players and fans. I've watched for years thousands of players try to get a starting gig in Queens and the good news is the first one is over for you. Has “graduation” to the majors changed your off-season routine at all?

Gee: There is always some changes and tinkering to workouts but for the most part I feel like what I have been doing so far has worked so why change it up a whole lot. The rehab team down in Florida added some good things to my program that really enabled me to come back strong from my shoulder injury!

Mack: I'm sure you'll be reporting with the pitchers/catchers in February... will your father (say hello for me...) be down there then or are you attending solo?

Gee: I will be heading down to Port St Lucie Feb 1st with my wife. I'm not sure yet if my family is gonna make it out to visit or not.

Mack: Well, I can see the smile on your face when you turn right into the complex area so you can park your car with the Mets team, instead of taking the second right into the minor league complex. Last question Dillon... there's a lot of fans on my site that have followed you throughout your climb to the majors and I wondered if you had anything you wanted to share with them?

Gee: Thank you for the continued support and believing in me. It's a tough road with lots of ups and downs and it helps knowing people are behind you.

Mack: Dillon, you're a class act. I probably won't make it down for ST this year, so best of everything in the season.

No comments: