11/17/11

Mack’s 25-man: RP Chris Schwinden


Remember… we are building a 2012 25-man from players that are currently under contract with the Mets.

I’m not exactly sure I would have Schwinny in my pen next spring if I had more options. He held his own in Queens last September and it looks like he will become the “6th starter” who usually pitches every five games in Buffalo, waiting for a phone call.

The rest of the starting pitchers projected for Buffalo are Jeurys Familia (hopefully ready earliest July), Collin McHugh (not ready), Mark Cohoon (struggling), Dylan Owen (probably will be left unprotected in the Rule 5 Draft) and Tobi Stoner (ineffective).

Chris is a starter, but so are Familia, Jenrry Mejia, Matt Harvey, and Zack Wheeler, who all are projected to go past him when they are ready. Schwinden’s future as a Met is in the pen, but his 2012 role should be the next starter up if someone goes down.

2012 will be Chris’s fifth year in the organization and the Mets will have to decide if they protect him for the Rule 5 Draft. Frankly, it would probably be in Schwinden’s best to pitch the hell out of 2012 at Buffalo and hook on with another team looking for an SP4/5.

Still, I’m going to pencil him in as one of my long guys because who else am I going to use?

On a personal note, I’ve gotten to know Schwinny. If good guys finish first, he’s on the way to the HOF.

That’s 20 down, 5 to go.

No comments: