5/18/14

Morning Report – May 18th - Sunday Morning Report, 2014 Draft



        Coming Later Today –

                 11 am –  SN MLB - Mock Draft

                3 pm -  Top 13 1B in 2014 MLB Draft - revised 5-15-14

6 pm -  Clay Casey, Trea Turner, Matt Imhof, Tyler Beede, Michael Kopech, Luke Weaver


Morning.

Let me throw this out at you for starts.

I’m looking for a little relief from my seven day, 1000+ word per day grind on the ‘Morning Report’. The VA doctors have taken be off my sleeping pills because (in combination with the morphine I take for my pain) they are, as my doctor put it, ‘killing veterans out there”.

What this is translating as me having to fall asleep for the first time in 20+ years without a sleeping pill. I find myself eventually dozing off around three in the morning and not waking until ten or eleven in the morning. Luckily, I am able to schedule in advance all I write here on Mack’s Mets.

I’d like to have a morning off on Sunday, meaning, I'd to have Saturday off from writing what you would normally read on Sunday morning.

I’m hoping to find one of you out there that will take over the Sunday Morning Report and put up something regular.

If not, I’ll probably return to ‘The War Room’ concept we had here for around six months that some of you likes (and participated) so much.

Please let me know your thoughts and if you’d like to do this.



Some of you approached me through comments this week about my thoughts on the draft. There are some things happening out there worth mentioning before:

    North Carolina State's LHP Carlos Rodon seems to have returned to the projected overall number one pick. He should be followed by two high school pitchers, Cathedral Catholic (CA) LHP Brady Aiken and Shepherd (TX) HS Tyler Kolek.

    Nobody knows where to project East Carolina RHP Jeff Hoffman after going down with TJS. Normally this would send you to the 4-5th round range; however, after the quick turnaround pitchers like Lucas Giolito have shown in the past, Hoffman is still projected to be a first round pick.  Some say he'll still go in the first ten picks, but I have him at 18th with the Nats.

    Right now, your top RH college pitcher is NOT Tyler Beede... LSU's Aaron Nola has slowly creeped up the board and looks to be a lock in the first 10 picks.

    A late arrival to the first round projections is White County (GA) RHP Spencer Adams, who currently projects in the 22-29th pick range.

    And right behind him is Virginia RHP Nick Howard, who has caught mock fire and projects in at the 28-30th range.

    There was for quite awhile no first baseman projected in this draft to go in the first round, but that's no longer. Wichita State's Casey Gillespie looks solid to be picked in the 24-35th pick range.

    Olympia (FL) HS Nick Gordon has obviously won the battle for the first SS picked this year, but North Carolina State's Trae Turner is hanging in there, right in the 10th pick range overall. Now, all the Mets have to decide is if they want another SS prospect, this one being 150 pounds when wet.

    Sprayberry (GA) 3B/2B Michael Chavis has moved back up the mock lists and now projects in around 25th... which is about the same range that Gainesville (GA) Michael Gettys has fallen to.

My pick for the Mets?

Well, it doesn't matter who I hope it is. What matters is who I think they will pick and, in that case, it's been Hartford 6-6 LHP Sean Newcomb from the start (he pitched another gem on Friday vs. Stonybrook... 7.0-IP, 1-ER, 8-K). The Mets have been all over him throughout the season.









  

10 comments:

Dallas said...

I'm more interested in your thoughts on Lagaresgate :)

Mack Ade said...

Dallas -

Morning -

'Lagaresgate' is pretty much the subject of tomorrow morning's 'Morning Report', named 'The Abyss', after my good friend Lou Manheim.

Terry Collins must really feel that he has job security right now. He simply is enjoying all this a little too much. All of baseball has turned to this story about a baseball player who, not only is the best defensive player on the team, but is leading the team in hitting. Oh yeah, did I tell you he fights every day for a slot in the starting lineup?

None of this makes any sense to me and it has turned the entire press corp against what's coming out of the manager's office. The Twitter world has turned this into a bigger story than Iraq and, IMO, it will only eventually result in bad news for Terry and no one else.

Tom Brennan said...

Hey Mack - feel better.

Speaking of drugs, my doc says I can come off Advil as soon as Terry Collins takes a permanent hiatus. He'd first have to wean me off Krispy Kremes.

Did not see yesterday's Mets' game, but saw highlight of Flores turning a DP and fielding another grounder. If you did not know it was Flores, you'd look and say, "guy looks like a solid SS." So why is his bat not in there every day, exactly?

I missed Tylor Bashlor having to get TJS. When was that? Curious if anyone has heard a peep on Luis Mateo, since he is 11 months into post-TJS. Also, what is the deal with Mazzoni tricep injury - thought he'd have been back by now.

Mack Ade said...

Thomas -

I feel fine... it's just a med thing about the removal of my sleeping pill and, frankly, it's also about the 'grind' of writing the Morning Report 7 days a week. There are some days that it's the only original material on the site so I feel I have to keep it up... but, if there is any room for relief it would be the Sunday morning report. Sunday is the lowest read day on the site.

On the other stuff... as I understand, Flores WILL NOT be the shortstop for the Mets going forward. He's been told that the job has been given back to Ruben Tejada and Flores will either return to the Mets bench or the Vegas lineup. I really don't care at this point which one of these two are named the shortstop. I just wish one would get the job and the story would go away.

I think Bashlor will actually have the surgery Monday or Tuesday. I don't understand your 'when was that' comment on Bashlor.

Mateo and Mazzoni are both in Extended Camp and should be back 'shortly'.

That Adam Smith said...

The Flores thing is a joke. Tejada's been hitting .200 over his last 500+ at bats. Surely that's enough time to see if he'll "get it going." But clearly, we've seen enough of Flores (20 AB's or so?) to know that he won't. Why did we bring him up? To do nothing, and leave SS as the black hole that it was?

How can anyone look at this team and not see Lagares as our everyday CF... or not want to give Flores - now that he's here - a chance to add some offense at SS?

I am at a total loss to understand the roster and lineup (mis)management here. Add to that the fact that just about every single time Terry makes some declaration about what "will" happen, who "is" the starter somewhere, etc., things change - not in a matter of weeks, but in days or hours.

Yesterday, when asked about Lagares' big day, Terry was downright grudging in his praise - "yeah, he had a good game... harumph, harumph... left-handed pither... harumph, harumph." It sounds way too much like this has become more about Terry's ego - or something else - than about winning, or the team, or the fans.

What on earth is going on here? Who is running this asylum? Somebody please, please help me out. I'm starting to despise the team I love, and it's making me very angry.

Ernest Dove said...

I'm going to start rooting for ey jr......mainly because Terry Collins (Sandy alderson or whoever) seem to be making it perfectly clear that he is going to be in the lineup no matter what he does. Hopefully he at least goes 1-4, or 1-3 with a walk, and steals a base, and scores a run.

Mack Ade said...

Adam -

I don't know if you noticed the comments made by Ike Davis today upon his return to NYC to face the Yanks. He said he's very happy to play for a team that wants his services.

These Tejada and Flores decisions have a big effect on the players desire to play for this team also.

Mack Ade said...

Ernest -

Let me continue to make this clear...

Sandy Alderson makes ALL the decisions.

It's TC's job to execute them and argue with beat reporters.

Tom Brennan said...

Hi Mack
Just was scanning down your DL list and did not even know Bashlor was on DL, so I had no idea he was hurt. Depressing another TJS victim.

I do not know why they won't try Flores for 2-3 weeks straight. What if he hits .300 and plays passable D? Tejada has to be in bottom quintile of starting ML SS's, if not the worst. What on earth could you lose?

Mack Ade said...

Thomas -

I'm going to answer your Flores comments on Tuesday morning. It will make more sense of how I feel after you read my Monday report.