1/20/21

Tom Brennan - NEW METS LEFTY JOEY LUCCHESI - A LOOK UNDER THE HOOD

 


Before I start...obvious mixed feelings on not getting George Springer.  Toronto shelling out $150 million for 6 years for George was a LOT.  Had the Mets exceeded that, the luxury tax would have come into play without drastic maneuvering. Still, 2021 post season chances are lowered without George. Mistake? Well, Jason Bay was considered debatable by some when the Mets got him for 4 years, $64 million. That turned out to be disastrous.  The Mets now need to pivot and make moves to make this team better, as it still has holes.  Now, on to my article du jour:


Joey Lucchesi for Endy Rodriguez?

“What, ANOTHER prospect sent away from the Mets Kingdom?”

Yep.  Sorry, all you purists.

I won't say a lot about our new pal Joey here, other than to say that he hardly pitched for the starter-rich San Diego Padres in 2020, but that doesn't mean he is no good.

Struck out slightly more than a man per inning in his career.  I like that.  How about you?

Also, I like to look at a player's splits for interesting things.  For our new pal Joey, I found that (understandably) he got hit hard by the lethal Dodgers and also did not do well against the D Backs.

In fact, against those two teams in his career, the lefty was a less-than-stellar 2-10, with an ERA around 5.50.

Against everyone else in his career, tho'?


16-10, 3.80 ERA in 225 innings.

So, against most of the teams, he does that.  


"Hey...You got a problem wit' dat??"

I don't.  I am hoping he is # 5 starter for these here  NY friggin' Mets, y'know what I'm sayin?

I wish we could've kept Endy Rod.  I love following the kids.

But I am a happy man -  Why?  We got our new pal Joey.


How about you?


2 comments:

TexasGusCC said...

Read a blurb a few days ago about Rodriguez and how the moving around will hurt him as catchers need to spend a lot of time at their position to learn it well and moving around much isn’t optimal...

Have to say, it’s hard not to like this trade. A lefty with four years of control, a nasty “churve” and a decent two seem fastball, but I wonder if a four seemed fastball wouldn’t be better as it would change the eye level and make that churve a wipeout pitch. Already that’s a good reliever, but maybe adding a pitch will help keep him an effective starter? Only for a Low A Ball flexible catcher/utility type when we drafted his same exact profile last draft? Have to make that trade every day. Could be steal in a year or two, hard to lose in a trade like that. Shame that Porter didn’t have more common sense and human dignity.

Tom Brennan said...

Gus I totally agree